'90 Mustang LX

Kelley97

Bought a '90 Mustang LX the other day. Tinted the rollups pretty easy(pulled driver's sideout and cut both sides from it). The small side windows and back window are giving me a hard time. I sanded the dots with steel wool numerous times and still can't get the tint to stick to the dots well. Anybody have any suggestions?

I looked at a few of these Mustangs on You Tube and noticed most of them with tinted windows didn't stick well to the dot matrix. This made me feel a little better. I am going to try it again and see if I can get it to stick a little more.

I looked at a few of these Mustangs on You Tube and noticed most of them with tinted windows didn't stick well to the dot matrix. This made me feel a little better. I am going to try it again and see if I can get it to stick a little more.

I have one of these. It won't stick, you can sand the edges that helps a little. Don't be too OCD about it :twocents

lday015.jpg

cut your film as close to the dots without going inside the dotted pattern as your can.

This problem seems to be worse when you are trying to put 5% on these cars. Why :lol2 But I has always had truble when using 5% on mustangs.

Trying heating the edge of the dotts from the outside while going around the film on the inside with either a felt card or a hard card wrapped with a paper towel. The trick is not to have alot of film going beyond the dot pattern, for some reason this makes the film want to curls off the window.

And 1 thought for the next time you do a set of those doors. It is much easier to remove the side mirror to cut your door patterns. Then it is to remove the door glass itself. Start with the window all the way up, cut the front edge alittle bigger then the gasket. Then roll the window down just a bit, and cut the top and back edge. Works like a charm, and you don't have to worry about pulling the window at all. :twocents

Think I may try cutting the film smaller and heating the dots. Sounds like a good idea. I need to redo the back glass. It didn't turn out as good as I would like. I am using 15% Llumar ATR. My luck with dots has been hit and miss. I have still got a lot to learn.

Guest GaTinter

On a side note I almost bought that car, But you beat me to it. I bought a white 91 a few weeks later. I has an issue with Tinting the back window and I ended up pulling the deck so I could get in there and sand down the dots and it came out great.

Archived