1997 convertible camaro (back window)

Taco_Conch

I had to do a 97 camaro convertible today for the first time. I've seen these with tint in the past, and they always look like sh**. So I did my best, and it turned out ok. The main problem I was having was with the fabric border. I cut the defrost plugs on the outside and cut the border on the inside. Everything looks great so far, then I apply it, and it's a little too big in some areas. I was like WTF !!! Also, the tint was a pain to lay down near the defrost plug. I think it was a combination of the rectangle I cut for the plug and the huge defrost line it was mounted on. Any advice on cutting patterns for these things without getting any light what so ever? Seems like it would be near impossible because of the fabric border. Thanks.

i do em exactly like you did but never have issues with gaps. maybe cuz ive done years of FG cuts

Do you angle your blade and cut inside the seam, or try to cut parallel with it? My issue was, the pattern was a cun* hair too big. No gaps.

i just hate doing convertibles in general. especially early 2000 mustangs

Have you tried making a border with 1/4 inch black vinyl pinstriping? After you do a few, they look great.

Have you tried making a border with 1/4 inch black vinyl pinstriping? After you do a few, they look great.

Do you mean cut the pattern small and then cover the gaps with a vinyl border or vice versa? I wouldn't think the tint would lay down too well over the vinyl.

Do you mean cut the pattern small and then cover the gaps with a vinyl border or vice versa? I wouldn't think the tint would lay down too well over the vinyl.

If I do that, I lay the vinyl first, trim the vinyl on the inside, then tint, finish the rest of the car, then let the car sit outside if the custy is not waiting- hear the edges if they are-or see if they can come back in a couple days, then go around the edges and press down where the tint meets the vinyl. Not an option for everyone, but it is an option. Even if you don't get to lay it down like that, it still looks fine imo. You'll just have to try it. :lol

Archived