3M's Crystalline 40 versus FX Premium 35

Guest atintnet22

Guest atintnet22

I've decided to get 3M's tint instead of Huper Optik due to cost and match with the factory tint in the rear.

I'm considering Crystalline 40 on the front 2 windows, and Crystalline 70 on the rear. However, 3M's FX Premium 35 seems to be a slightly better match than the Crystalline 40 for 2 reasons:

1) its slightly darker and blends with the rear tint, and

2) I've heard people with Crystalline 40 not passing NC state inspection, while passing with the visibly-darker FX-PM 35!

Does this make sense? FX-PM 35% being metered within legal limits, but Crystalline 40 being metered just under the 35% limit in NC?

• Tolerance for the film +/- 3% of what is published on the data sheets
  • Meters are +/- 3%
  • The glass itself can range from 70%-87%

Everything mentioned is within the realm of the possible.

The best bet is to meter the film at the point of installation. If the reading is too dark, reconsider your options.

-Howard

Guest atintnet22

Crystalline 40 metering darker than FX-PM 35 was on clear glass - without a factory tint. However you're right; meter at the time of installation.

Though the rejected solar energy on FX-PM 35 is only 37% compared to 59% on CR40, I'll probably go with the PM35. There's only a 2% difference is actual light coming thru the glass between the 2 films (CR40 is 39%, FX-PM 35 is 41%), as well as the fact that FX-PM35 is darker - and will therefore match my rear factory tint just a bit better.

Guest wrong_em_boyo
I've decided to get 3M's tint instead of Huper Optik due to cost and match with the factory tint in the rear.

I'm considering Crystalline 40 on the front 2 windows, and Crystalline 70 on the rear. However, 3M's FX Premium 35 seems to be a slightly better match than the Crystalline 40 for 2 reasons:

1) its slightly darker and blends with the rear tint, and

2) I've heard people with Crystalline 40 not passing NC state inspection, while passing with the visibly-darker FX-PM 35!

Does this make sense? FX-PM 35% being metered within legal limits, but Crystalline 40 being metered just under the 35% limit in NC?

To the best of my knowledge, the Crystalline 40 is a bit darker. It specs out at 39% VLT while the FXPM 35 specs at 41%. The FXPM 30 is actually closer to a true 35% film.

Guest atintnet22

To the best of my knowledge, the Crystalline 40 is a bit darker. It specs out at 39% VLT while the FXPM 35 specs at 41%. The FXPM 30 is actually closer to a true 35% film.

Yes, I saw the specs - with Crystalline being 2% darker. Yet with test pieces on the windows ('08 Mercedes R350 with clear front windows), the FXPM 35 was darker!

Guest atintnet22
Have the installer meter a sample swatch of each - they need to read 32% or higher. There are a lot of films out ther that match the rear hues of factory shaded glass closer than what you are working with. Where in NC?

In Charlotte. 32% or 35% on the front windows?

The first place I went to (inquiring about the front windows only) wouldn't install Huper Optik saying that it wouldn't blend well with the rear factory tint, and recommended Solar Gard.

The 2nd place I went to won't install anything darker than Huper Optik 40% since many cars came back after failing NC state inspection, and therefore recommended Crystalline 40.

The 3rd place won't install darker than Crystalline 50% for the same reason (failing inspection with Crystalline 40), and also since some customers complained that Crystalline 40% was too dark for night driving in dimly lit areas.

Guest atintnet22

Oh, I also considered Formula One's Pinnacle series (Llumar's high-end ceramic tint), but my nearest dealer is 75 miles away in Winston-Salem, NC. Surprisingly, 3M Crystalline 40% (non-ceramic) specs are very close to Pinnacle 35%.

Again, it looks like my choices are FX-PM 35 or CR 40; either way 3M wins!

CR40 in front, CR70 in the rear, sunroof, versus FX-PM 35 in front, with FX-PM 55 everywhere else.

CR costs almost twice as much as FX though - hence the dilemma.

Archived