Door panels

Guest Shady

Guest Tint Wiz

Yea fight with a gasket wizard to get film past rub rail`s lot`s of creases dirt , the best and cleanist way pop door card off for best job, :spit

Guest Braud Spectrum

I used to take every single door panel off...you can get waaaay down in there and just makes tinting easier... but very seldom in the last ten years. Gaskets or seals are a whole lot softer rubber than they used to be. I just make dern sure the film is going to fit exactly with an additional 1/4" on the bottom to tuck down in the seal...preshrunk, top and bottom, before I peel. No problemos. Even with the second gasket. Once in a while I get an old Ford pu with the curved fringe in the corner... I still take the panels off those but it's just a couple of screws, pop those buttons and it's off. Oh... and the Intrepid and Taurus D & P, too. I think those are the ones... idiotic mirror thingy gets in the way ?

You know that little bitty seat bottom and back on the door panel of a Mercedes ? Has a tiny little headrest control there too. Little stem broke off the headrest button. Thought it just be a couple of bucks to replace... yeah right! $495.00. :spit

They don't like you to take those door panels off anyway. Too many people swore there were squeaks because I'd done it. 'specially old men... for some reason they just couldn't stand the thought of those panels coming off. Maybe because I'm a girl and they thought I didn't know what I was doing...rolleyes.gif

Is Volvo still sneaky with hiding those screws?

I never take off door panels. as far as bieng clean my work comes out spotless. I cut my doors to fit exact . with just enough at the bottom to hide the light.and that only comes from sliding the film down to get my gap up top. I do this by lining my factory edge. up with the gasket on the outside. and make my top cut last. I also dont pull the liner off all the way. so that I dont get contamination on the film. while im working on the top. and bs on those old fords. can can just pop the gasket out. insted of taking off the pannel. just get a flat head screwdriver. and pry it up from the end first. it will come right out. one some years though . you have to lift and push to get it out

Guest Braud Spectrum

I used to do that too Pie, but either two or more of those stupid clips would break off a tooth then they wouldn't hold worth a crap and I'd have to buy um a new one. ($18.00)or else I'd bugger up the bottom of my film trying to get those back in aiming them in there or the top if I tried while the window was rolled down. One of those times when I'd be doin' some serious praying while attempting it. Fortunately I don't get too many of those old Fords any more.

ive broken a few of em myself. but after I did I got the hang off it down.its all how you lift it out . all though ive noticed wehn they come from salt water areas. they allways brake. guess the salt in the air causes em to rot

Guest Film Maverick

I prefer to take panels off but if I think the job will come out OK I will push down the rubber, heat the bottom and pull it up after with a C-clip puller or hook tool as some call it. I like to do the window all at once instead of a two-step as required by not pulling the panel

I either remove the gasket if it pops out quickly,or use the gasket wizard..what a great invention for saving time..and lowering risk of any panel removal..as far as the old ford rubbers, you never break them if you use a flat - head screwdriver as mentioned B4..but when using it..instead of just prying up, insert it beside the clip and twist the screwdriver, that spreads it a bit, then slide it down the opposite side and twist again..repeat on all 4 clips, then it slips out easy ,when replacing, remember to push the clip in its origional position again..with ease so it doesn't break :lol6

Archived