Fire-rated Film?

I don't think there is a film that can increase a fire rating on annealed glass. For instance in CA they have a code that requires ALL glass to be tempered even on homes in high fire risk areas. Tempered being 4x stronger than annealed will not blow up as quickly when subjected to heat of a fire. That buys time because typically an annealed window will break from the heat and then the embers pour in and ignite the structure. Film as far as I have seen cannot temper glass and make it tensile strength increase enough for a fire rating.

I could be wrong though. :blink:

I don't think there is a film that can increase a fire rating on annealed glass. For instance in CA they have a code that requires ALL glass to be tempered even on homes in high fire risk areas. Tempered being 4x stronger than annealed will not blow up as quickly when subjected to heat of a fire. That buys time because typically an annealed window will break from the heat and then the embers pour in and ignite the structure. Film as far as I have seen cannot temper glass and make it tensile strength increase enough for a fire rating.

I could be wrong though. :blink:

Applying this to tempered glass is an option. Fire rated glass is backordered 3 weeks. It is supposed to have a 10 minute rating.

Are you looking for a film to increase the rating of glass or just flame spread #s

I don't know. It has to be rated.

Archived