Bumper kits to big?

Hey all, i have kind of been stumped the last few installs here.

I use the 3M digital designs software(i know i wish i could afford DAP as well)

i seem to always run into the issue that the bumper kits are to big, my hood and fender kits fit well, with anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch gap that i can stretch to my preferred edge and fitment.

but with bumpers (i have done a 08 bmw x3 and a 08 acura mdx recently) and both bumper kits seem oversize, i try to not stretch them any at all, and i still end up having things out of alignment and at the end have edges hanging off, either on the top, or bottom, or down by the fender and wheel.

i usually take in the middle, or in the case of the bmw the 3 lines up in the grill that make the w shape, then work outward(just as 3ms installer helper sheet recommends)

just curious if maybe i am doing something wrong that someone can think of, hopefully i can get some pics up later today.

any tips would be great, and also anyone have tips for cutting a clean edge if i do get myself into that "overstretched" situation at the end of an install.

having things mis aligned really throws a curve-ball since both these last vehicle had headlamp washers.

its really getting frustrating so i hope to solve this quick

Thanks all

Dustin Brewster

Stealth Auto Protection

we used the 3M patterns a while ago and i remember some of the same issues. it sounds like your starting the install at the right places. its hard to explain but i remember alot of times i would stretch to make what i thought to be the next alignment point when i really needed to do another step first and that would cause problems. using those patterns is how i started cutting things myself. you can edit out things like washers and tow hook squares that should help a little.

Mike S.

Good to know i am not the only one, i have spoken with the 3M rep and they have given me the name of the guy that works on all the patterns and software os i am going to contact him.

i had to send my bmw customer away with essentially a "unhappy" bumper as it was not up to my standards, nor his. but it is at least protecting for now, i assured him i would get it fixed up, but i don't want to bring him back in until i can do that.

both of these bumpers have been relatively small as well, in the sense that there is plastic fascias underneath both of them and its just the painted that's getting covered.

I guess i really need to learn to bulk things, i know i wasted more film trying to get this kit right then if i would have just bulked it myself.

Any tips on bulking? my biggest fear is just being able to cut a nice line on all the parts that need to be, also where do i tuck half the wrap? etc.

I will let you know how it turns out as far as what 3M says, this is really frustrating, and i miss my DAP, i would really like to try the DAP for one more day and pump out a 2008 X3 bumper just to see if its actually the kit, or if i am mistaken as the installer, maybe Jeff will chime in and help me out here, i know everyone told me 3M patterns sucked in comparison, guess i am really starting to see this now, ugh.

I guess i really need to learn to bulk things, i know i wasted more film trying to get this kit right then if i would have just bulked it myself.

Any tips on bulking? my biggest fear is just being able to cut a nice line on all the parts that need to be, also where do i tuck half the wrap? etc.

I've been bulking hoods for about a month now and just bulked my first mirror yesterday but ended up trashing it and installing the pattern because I couldn't figure out the fingers. I can't seem to find any videos on bulking. I think most guys that bulk install hold those tips and tricks tightly since it is such a skill. I'm confident I'll get there eventually but I don't have a 'bulk' of capital built up yet to waste film on learning so it'll be slow going.

You got the contact info for the designer... Can you share that info? (Even if it's in a PM)

is this the part where i can trade you some contact info for some bulk wrapping tips via PM? hahaha

i will look it up later today and shoot you a PM with the info.

A few pics of the area in question would help determine the cause of the issue on this one. PM me if you still have the opportunity to install on that car, and I'll see what we can do about getting your DAP turned on to test your theory.

Guest Invisibra.net

You got the contact info for the designer... Can you share that info? (Even if it's in a PM)

is this the part where i can trade you some contact info for some bulk wrapping tips via PM? hahaha

i will look it up later today and shoot you a PM with the info.

Haha, well I don't want the pattern makers info for my advantage, other than to avoid his patterns in the future if I do more patterns!

Archived