Bentley Continental GT or Flying Spur

Bentley Continental GT or Flying Spur

bentley-continental.jpg

By: System
Oct 28 2005, 12:28 AM

Hello All: Not sure if you guys are aware of it, but both the Bentley Continental GT (the two door) and the Bentley Flying Spur (the four door) are derivitives of the Volkswagen Phaeton. Obviously, the bodywork, interior, and glass is different, but the electrical system is identical (and I really do mean identical, as in "100% the same thing") as a Phaeton. In fact, Flying Spurs that are sold in Continental Europe are built on the same production line as the Phaeton, at the VW factory in Dresden, Germany. Flying Spurs destined for the British and American markets are built in England, so as to maintain the 'British' illusion. But, just look at any electrical controller on either of these two Bentleys, and you will find a Phaeton part number on it. There is only one exception, and that is the controller for the spoiler on the back of the Continental GT. Phaetons don't have spoilers, so VW uses the same controller (exactly the same part number) for the Bentley spoiler as they do for the spoiler on the New Beetle Turbo model. If you don't believe me, just have a look at the part... What all this means is: if you have to do one of these vehicles, it might be worthwhile to read the Phaeton Tips and Tricks thread, which is at this link:

Don't remove anything off these cars! Mask door panels with plastic and 3m 355 mask tape. Also open pop the rear trunk and pull upper trunk lid lining. You will need a torx tool to do it. The compartment will drop down and reveal a ton of computers and other hardware. Mask off with plastic! You get the puppies wet and you will have a big insurance claim to make! I work for a Bentley dealership in Scottsdale, AZ and see a ton of these cars! Don't mess around you might find yourself out of buiness!

Damn I just did one today. i think the spur and the GT are a PITA. mostly just the back widow and the Rear Quarters. I tinted all the way to the edge of the glass on both, took a little work but it looks a lot bette than having the film stop 2 inches fromt he edge on the outside. I'll get some pics once my computer synchs with my treo, it wont now. POS.

Archived