Best Detailer in America Contest

Best Detailer in America Contest

carwasher

I have been approached by one of my distributors to help organize a detailing competition. It will not be held until next year but should be a big deal. We have two major car manufacturers willing to provide cars coming back from lease. A national detail supply company is also backing this.

There will be at least 3 to 5 grand in prize money as well as prizes like extractors and paint guages. The contest will be held in a giant detail shop that is currently being built and should allow up to fifty cars be worked on at once.

We need to work out the details though and I thought this forum would be a good place to get some input.

How should we judge the details?

Should it be for individuals or teams?

How do we provide a level playing field? The cars will all be three year old lease returns but not might be in identical condition.

Should certain techniques not be allowed? For example, should we allow carpet dying or painting of the wheelwells?

We have some time to figure it out but anyone who would like to give it some thought and put in their two cents would be of help.

detailing bandit

I will get back with you CW on a few ideas...sounds like you should have a ball...I do this occasionally when I have a group that are real competitive and trash talkers and the winner I buy a new Buffer for there prize...I'll post the rules for 1 man and individual thumb.gif

detailing bandit

Need a point system... add and deduct points for speed or time...quality and outside have a gloss meter for the points for gloss.have black cars for the expert group....light cars for the intermediate group...have one fender on vehicle watersanded with 1500.......make the products the same but have everyone bring there on electric buffer....Good lord to do what your doing is going to take great cordinating...good luck...I better keep with doing 2 people at a time.. Fbigeyes.gif

SQUEEGEE

There are a few on this board that have been judges in major tintoffs that may be able to give you good advice.

Judging a detailing job sounds to me about as difficult as judging a BBQ cookoff.

Lot of different tastes in which to appeal. One judge might be more swayed by the gloss and shine that someone with mad buffing skills leaves behind while another might be more swayed by a detailer that is better at rejuvinating a stomped on interior.

I believe Metint and Tintwizard might have a few ideas for you.

I would personally go against the idea of an intermediate, advanced and pro levels expecially it being an innagural event.

The first event should dictate what future competition events are most important and which ones needs to be taken away.

I think it would be smart to go with "Best Paint and Trim Restoration", "Best Interior Restoration" and "Best All Around".

I'll be a judge if you buy me some BBQ and get me loaded with beer. beer.gif

detailing bandit

ME TOO beer.gif

carwasher

I might take you up on that boys. I agree that it will be tough to judge. A lot of times a car is just done 'right'. Can you make it more 'right'? Things we have to work out. I talked to the meguiars rep today and there may be even more big time prizes. There are alot of large corporations willing to throw down for some prizes and we might be on Meguiars car crazy tv show. good PR for detailers.

Click here to view the article

Archived