Trailblazer back glass

Guest fogged306

Guest fogged306

I went through 9 pages of chevy car topics on here and nobody has posted anything about this window, so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. Just can't seem to get it shrunk very well. I'm using the dry method (bar soap) and an H pattern with solargard HP smoke film. The bottom corners seem to be just too much for me. I'm pretty new to the dry method and back glass in general, although I've successfully shrunk a 01 taurus and 99 town car among a couple other easy back ones, Just can't get this one after 3 attempts. Any tips?

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

Don't tack the sides. Just across the middle. You'll need to do some pulling around the bottom edges. I've done 3 of these so far now (one being my own) and on all 3 i've creased a small spot on the pass side maybe a half inch up from the bottom corner. I'm assuming it's because I can't get the correct angle for pulling while heating. But other than that, The rest came out great! So maybe pop the cover off and slide the wiper arm off if it helps any. Good luck buddy!

I went through 9 pages of chevy car topics on here and nobody has posted anything about this window, so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. Just can't seem to get it shrunk very well. I'm using the dry method (bar soap) and an H pattern with solargard HP smoke film. The bottom corners seem to be just too much for me. I'm pretty new to the dry method and back glass in general, although I've successfully shrunk a 01 taurus and 99 town car among a couple other easy back ones, Just can't get this one after 3 attempts. Any tips?

Those are definelty tougher than a trailblazer.

If the bottom is giving you trouble, maybe get that anchor a tad lower than middle to push the majority of the film to be shrunk up top instead of on the bottom.

Guest fogged306

That's a good call on moving the anchor down a little, thanks!

Not locking the sides is something I've seen a few times now browsing through this forum. I was always under the impression that you can't shrink horizontally. What's the method on the sides and corners when you don't do the vertical bars of the H?

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

Not locking the sides is something I've seen a few times now browsing through this forum. I was always under the impression that you can't shrink horizontally. What's the method on the sides and corners when you don't do the vertical bars of the H?

When I leave the sides untacked I just run my hand up the side to keep the fingers going up or down and shrink like normal. With leaving the sides go, it gives more room for shrink and doesn't bunch everything to the middle. Sometimes that little extra bit helps. Also leave the tint long on the sides and bottom.

Guest fogged306

Sounds like your still on the "learning curve".

Takes awhile to get the skills down.

Just do a clean 2 piece.

This is why the pros can charge.

Nah, I'm trying to learn here so I'd rather spend half a roll on one window than to take the easy way out. Plus I hate the way seams look. Tint shop I used to work at used to do a lot of 2 piece and relief cut BG's and I never liked the way they turned out. I'm sure with some practice I could make them look good, but in my opinion, I'd rather spend that time practicing 1 piece windows.

Definitely still on the learning curve and probably always will be, so please don't take my post as ungrateful for the advice.

When I leave the sides untacked I just run my hand up the side to keep the fingers going up or down and shrink like normal. With leaving the sides go, it gives more room for shrink and doesn't bunch everything to the middle. Sometimes that little extra bit helps. Also leave the tint long on the sides and bottom.

Yea I leave it long. Possibly too long. I think I'm going to start doing a 1" border max for shrinking. Generally I'll cut in about 1/2" from the molding and sometimes that can leave me with 2-3" of extra film to shrink.

I've seen a video of what you're referring too I think, where a guy just puts his fingers in the corner and holds it there while he heats. I'll give it a shot and see how it works. Thanks for the tips guys. Great forum so far!

Archived