Suntek Residential Film Peeling Immediatley After Installation

Guest archer69

We've had llulu do the same thing. It seems to have a started a few years back with a new cdf adhesive they started using. It happend the same way you described. Full sun exposure. Basically the adhesive was drying out before it could be activated. We experienced it several times over the years. We don't use Sun-tek, so I can't speak to that, but we found a solution for the problem with the llulu. They had not sent out a warning in the box of film, but when we called, they said, "yes, at times you made need to put an additive in the mounting solution for good adhesion."

We fixed it by adding Llumar X-100 mounting solution. It is supposed to make the water slightly acidic and activate the adhesive quicker. Now why they would use an adhesive that needed a special solution only they made is beyond me,(ha,ha), but there you have it. It seemed to work best when we went heavy with the X-100.

We've used a lot of Solar-Gard, Sun-Gard (back when they made decent film) and Hanita, but never had this issue with their CDFs.

As for not installing in the sun, I agree, there are many times when scheduling in a commercial building does not allow you to avoid the sun all day. We've had our biggest problems when they sun peeks around the corner shortly after the install. Now we add the X-100 anytime we have to put up LLulu just in case.

Unfortunately this option is not always available when you book 8 hours in a day to tint houses.

Full day jobs are the best because you can let the sun "chase" you around the house.

All advice on this thread is good. And yes, Tom was just being a smartazz. That's why I like him! :D

Hot glass, maybe a not so perfect run (happens to the best of us), too much negative curl, it could be a little of each of those things.

With dry adhesives try to tint on cool glass, like Kats mentioned chase the sun around the install.

Archived