Car Stereo Question

That series of radios are notorious for having the backlight lamp burn out. Not easy to find so what I do for a customer is replace it with a led at about a cost of $60 total for R and R. And if your gonna replace it with a aftermarket headunit you have a couple options. Buy a traditional wiring harness ($5-$15) and it will not provide a accessory output so you will have to run a wire to turn the radio on when the keys on accs or run. Those are Data Bus radios from the factory and use data to turn the radio on when the keys turned and also the RAP system is data controlled. RAP is the retained accessory power that when your in the car and turn key off the radio stays on until the door is open. Not to mention door chime is also lost with the above mentioned harness. So using that cheaper harness makes more headaches than anything. using a data interface is always a better choice. You retain the RAP system, door chimes (some dont care but for audio shops its a safety issue) and some install time too. Now with interfaces Best KIts and Metra sell a low cost model and a higher cost model. Lower models have a limited Accessory output intended for newer radios and not to power anything else (ie monitors) and the higher price ones will have appx 10 amps current on the accessory output for older radios and additional monitors to an extent plus they will work with amplified (Bose) system, On Star. Depends on your needs basically. Hope that clears some things up. 12 Volt is my forte' incase any other ?s arise and I will try to answer

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always give the customer the option to save money and lose door chimes. they always go for the cheap route. usually when u tall them that the interface is close to $100 they run so id rather have the install. I dont consider losing door chimes a head aches but I guess some people like those types of noises just havent met one of those yet.

I always shoot higher then come down. I understand your opinion but you can almost never go higher when at a lower starting point. The Pac interface will do both amplified or non-amplified and will also have a higher Accs output than the Low Cost units. We sell all them rather its a Low Cost or Higher ones to never loose a sell. Different situations you got to be ready for so you don't loose that sell. Hell our only real local competitor call us at least once a week for something they dont stock which in most situations should be a needed item. I asked them before do you want us to be your distributor?? lol funny %&$#.

The stereo install guy I've used in the past wants $ which would be about a mid level 4 door car film install, and that is using the unit I have.

Sure wish some of you folks were here in Dallas...........

What about a wrecking yard that has gm only parts?

I would guess they would be able to unlock and just install?

I really cant afford 2 bills to get it done, looking at the lowest cost solution to this....

What does the 2004 grand am interchanhe with?

Archived