vw golf 3dr 2005 mk 5

Guest cooltintsmobile

Guest cooltintsmobile

my next car is as stated, anything to look out for guys? I'm guessing the side quarters will want shrinking a little, whats the back window like? this is my 4th car so please excuse the lame questions, I want this to be perfect. thanks people

Guest naughtydog

my best advice... call in sick!!

you will never do that back window if you have only done four cars, cancel the job to save making a fool out of yourself!! one of the worst back glasses out there!!

Guest cooltintsmobile

ouch! luckily I do know him from years ago so I'll give it ago but I'll warn him it may take me a while, I need to learn, so the hard way may be best for me, it will be my first dry shrink though so I'll have to take my time and go steady, any tips appreciated. ;)

I know its not saying much with myself also being a noob... but I struggle with them.... I try to avoid them as much as possible, I dont do them unless I have too! but thats just my 2 pence worth!

Guest crossy67

Bottom rear corners of the hotline can be a pain if you don't have a good film, Sunteck will do them easily with no special techniques but you have to know what you're doing. If you are going to remove the front door glasses don't. The regulators have a bad habit of disintegrating making you look like a tw@, if the clamps that hold the glass are all cast ally they have been changed, if they are part steel and white plastic leave well alone.

Guest cooltintsmobile

thanks for your honest comments, I'm still going to experience it otherwise it will be in my mind forever, at least if I mess it up I can say to myself... yep I messed up now get over it hehe, I'll explain they are a pain but I'll give it a shot and allow extra extra time, on the last car I did I struggled with some fingers on the bk window, I didnt wanna crease them so I left them and stuck it on then worked them out from the outside of the glass, and they are fine, is this bad practice, any future problems, I thought it was just a good way of getting out of a problem

ok, take the gaskets outa the front doors. theres 1 screw in the way front of the top of the panel. lift the panel up and over the gasket and pull it out.

the back window use at least a 24" roll. I lay it up there low and trim the top excess to follow the spoiler line. then make an anchor to shrink just the top, do nothing to the bottom yet. shrink the top till it burns then cut off the burned part again following the line of the spoiler. then I shift it up and repeat. then shift it all the way up to the spoiler and flatten out the whole top and bring the rest of the excess to the bottom. then trim around the wiper button and pull and shrink slow and even back and forth. oh and good luck

Archived