Where to go from here?

ive been thinking alot about the next step in my career. I work at an established, hi volume/hi end, shop in san diego and pride myself in doing some of the best work in auto tinting, ppf and vinyl. I think ive hit the cap of my growth where im at and want something with more opportunities. aside from owning my own business ive been thinking alot about getting into the corporate end of the industry but dont really know much about the quality of job like this. is there good money to be made or real room for growth? I know there alot of great first hand knowledge in this area on here and wanted to get some input.

hee hee, trust me, once you doing tinting, you will regret venturing into other businesses. Explore deeper penetration into our trade:

- try to do more architectural tinting, looks like this is the growth area for everyone this year

- Sell DIY for home-tinting online, I don't recommend offering DIY autotints because you will end up quarreling with many mean custy.

- distribute your own private label

- organize joint procurement for tints and tools with your friends in the trade (with profit sharing)

- Put aside 50-100K a year and build up the amount to take up small stakes in your peers and influence their business decisions.

- take leadership and form your own mnwindowfilmassoc.com

The possibilities are endless.

hee hee, trust me, once you doing tinting, you will regret venturing into other businesses. Explore deeper penetration into our trade:

- try to do more architectural tinting, looks like this is the growth area for everyone this year

- Sell DIY for home-tinting online, I don't recommend offering DIY autotints because you will end up quarreling with many mean custy.

- distribute your own private label

- organize joint procurement for tints and tools with your friends in the trade (with profit sharing)

- Put aside 50-100K a year and build up the amount to take up small stakes in your peers and influence their business decisions.

- take leadership and form your own mnwindowfilmassoc.com

The possibilities are endless.

I dont want to detach myself entirely from what I excel in but I do miss (sometimes) working in the corporate structure. have you tried to break out of tinting and didnt find what you were looking for?

have you tried to break out of tinting and didnt find what you were looking for?

I left the trade for a while in 2006-07. I regretted the decision and lost some money.

1. Look, we have more car audio shops joining our trade and not vice-versa. Why?

2. A construction worker get the same psf labour cost as our architectural tinters for laying tiles on the floor. They have more trash to clear and takes longer to complete the same area-size.

3. Even car factories make losses since Lehmen crisis but we had more window film factories and laminating lines in US, Korea and China during the same period.

Back to our trade. If you can fully scheduled your tinting appointments for 3 days, you would have made enough to see you through for the rest of the week. Therefore, I figured that once you step into this trade, you can't find a good substitute. This is why I told you about deeper penetration earlier. my 2 cents.

no, thats good advice and a good way to look at it. Have the true veterans out there found it physically hard to do this for so long in such a production setting? I already feel it in my legs, back and wrists. not daily or to the point that its debilitating but it really got me thinking about how and where to invest my skills and knowledge.

Guest CZtint

I think I am unable to do something else then tinting (altough I am working on something right now)

When I compare earnings from tint and any other business around it's just joke. Without huge investment into some buy/sell company or something similiar, in czech you are basically cut down by competition immediately.

About health issues, I know what are you talking about, but go and dig some canals or something for one day and you will see the difference.

If you can get into reselling business and your contacts/selling skills are above average, you can try, as from my knowledge salesmen are only ones close to my money. If I don't count "son" or "wife" profession :golf

I have been trying to leave twice, never again. What I plan is to expand exactly what Fat Cat said, and since I have been through that already, I can say that he is 100% right

Archived