How many of you guys buy 18" & 20" roll's?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's cheaper than a 40" and that puts more money in my pocket and less in the trash bag. Right now I have 20", 24" 30" 36" and 40" rolls. Sure I have more rolls to pay for, but I throw less away and in the long run that works out better for me :D

With a 40 you would not need to spend money on a 36 and a 20 just split the 40 and you got rear and sides is what I was thinking.

We buy all rolls in a 40/20 cut...20 for the doors and 40 for the rear glass. It is easier to use 20's on the door and faster. When you run out of the 20, you can use up the remaining 40 before opening a new 20 box. Plus if you use a 40 on the rear window, you can use the leftover amount on either the small quarter windows or the windshield strip on most vehicles.

Ok ..I'm going to play Devil's Advocate .....

You guys are mad cutting on cars and keeping all those different sizes in stock.

1. Cutting on cars is slower than cutting from kits
  2. Cutting on cars is not as precise as a well sorted kit
  3. Cutting on cars can cause damage to gaskets and glass

Now I'm the first to say 'there is no one right way to tint' and whatever gets the job done etc etc. but I don't know if we are backwards in Oz but the majority of shops I have visited have good templates for all cars and simply roll out a 60" on the table and lay down the kit, double up all windows and cut.Takes about 3-5 mins to cut a car with nice straight edges etc ... could you really cut on a car that fast? There is practically no waste if done right.

I have worked in shops turning out 40 cars a day using this method.(yeah, they probably should have a plotter)

1 film , 1 roll size.

Enlighten me please, I am here to learn, why is this not the preferred method ? (barring plotters of course)

You guys are mad cutting on cars and keeping all those different sizes in stock.

Now I'm the first to say 'there is no one right way to tint' and whatever gets the job done etc etc. but I don't know if we are backwards in Oz but the majority of shops I have visited have good templates for all cars and simply roll out a 60" on the table and lay down the kit, double up all windows and cut.Takes about 3-5 mins to cut a car with nice straight edges etc ... could you really cut on a car that fast? There is practically no waste if done right.

I have worked in shops turning out 40 cars a day using this method.(yeah, they probably should have a plotter)

1 film , 1 roll size.

Enlighten me please, I am here to learn, why is this not the preferred method ? (barring plotters of course)

Cause we take pride on our skill to custom cut. It is more acurate then a plotter will ever be. I used to use my plotter then went back to hand cutting. Templates were not always 100%. Its either to long or to wide. Not every window is the same.

1 film , 1 roll size.

Cause we take pride on our skill to custom cut. It is more acurate then a plotter will ever be. I used to use my plotter then went back to hand cutting. Templates were not always 100%. Its either to long or to wide. Not every window is the same.

OK, I dont use a plotter either and probably never will, the first time a new model car comes in, you cut on the car - you keep the backing sheets as a template and cut all subsequent cars from your own template on the table. Spot on every time just the way you like it.

I cut kits on cars every other day too with new models coming in , old cars I havent done before etc. But cutting on cars in my opinion is more wasteful and definately takes longer to do than on a bench with a template (of your own making)

The only time I could understand carrying all these different size rolls and cutting on cars is if you were mobile and didn't have access to a cutting table which is how I was initially trained scary years ago. I should add I have been in my own show for a long time now and maybe some of my ways are no longer best practice , I have been learning a hell of a lot since I found TintDude and respect the advice from the regular contributors.

Why is this not the way to go?? What is a better way and why?

I keep a 20" on hand but ill go through 3-5 rolls of 36" to every one 20".

Hand cut, template, or plotter at some point you'll have to put a blade to a vehicle. No one way is good, better, best for all!

That said, :eye WHY ask WHY!!? Just do your thing!! :D

Guest VaTinterPMan

I keep a 20" on hand but ill go through 3-5 rolls of 36" to every one 20".

Hand cut, template, or plotter at some point you'll have to put a blade to a vehicle. No one way is good, better, best for all!

That said, :eye WHY ask WHY!!? Just do your thing!! :D

As long as you make money Roll with it...Who cares what Joe smoe is doing down the street much less on other the coast or across the pond....I think I am pretty damn fast with cutting all my patterns on the car....I double cut and go from there...I did it this way cause thats how I taught myself and so on....

AND COME ON!! It's a razor/olfa/excato Blade how much damage can you really do?? you can clearly see if u cut the gasket and u can trim it up and make it look brand new if need be..:twocents

Archived