How should I go about cleaning a vehicle before applying ppf?

Yes, I highly recommend taking a training course. I can send you our training letter, but I'm not sure how far you are willing to travel. Either way, it's better to learn this skill from professionals. You will get more out of it than trying to do it yourself. And you will save more money and time as well.

Guest Invisibra.net

More specific to the original question...

I have my customers bring me a washed car. I'm a PPF installer, not a car detailer, so I recommend they get any washing, clay bar, buffing, paint touch up done first. I always recommend them bringing paint touch up with them also, just in case they find a chip on the way to my shop.

Then, I typically will use my home-depot pressure washer to rinse out under the headlights, and grills, etc to get any last bits of dust & dirt out, so it doesn't wash out into my film-work while I'm installing. Nothing sucks more than doing a great installation, then having the film dry a bit and show little white specks where air pockets form around small bits of dirt that appear under trim pieces, etc.

The surface always gets a 25%alcohol 'final wipe' with a microfiber just before applying the film.

Norm

I have my customers bring me a washed car. I'm a PPF installer, not a car detailer, so I recommend they get any washing, clay bar, buffing, paint touch up done first. I always recommend them bringing paint touch up with them also, just in case they find a chip on the way to my shop.

Then, I typically will use my home-depot pressure washer to rinse out under the headlights, and grills, etc to get any last bits of dust & dirt out, so it doesn't wash out into my film-work while I'm installing. Nothing sucks more than doing a great installation, then having the film dry a bit and show little white specks where air pockets form around small bits of dirt that appear under trim pieces, etc.

The surface always gets a 25%alcohol 'final wipe' with a microfiber just before applying the film.

Norm

Thanks Norm. You have been very helpful. Since the car will get a final wipe down with alcohol, the type of soap shouldn't really matter should it? Also, I took a look at your website and I just wanted to say that you guys do great work. I love the attention to detail and the fact that you take the extra steps to insure a great install on every vehicle. I will definitely be striving to do work as good as you guys.

Guest Invisibra.net

Norm

Thanks Norm. You have been very helpful. Since the car will get a final wipe down with alcohol, the type of soap shouldn't really matter should it? Also, I took a look at your website and I just wanted to say that you guys do great work. I love the attention to detail and the fact that you take the extra steps to insure a great install on every vehicle. I will definitely be striving to do work as good as you guys.

Glad I could help, and thanks for the :thumb . I try to put the time into the job that makes it as good as it can be. As long as you are willing to put another hour into a job to make it GOOD, instead of trying to get another job squeezed in for the $$, I think your reputation will keep you busy while others are getting slow.

Guest linearossa

Do not use old rags, shirts, socks, dish towels, or any other kind of towel. these will all leave swirl marks in your paint as they do not trap dirt particles deep in the fibers keeping them away from your vehicles finish.

Archived