Tinting a vintage Airstream with corning glass

Hi all,

I have a customer wanting her vintage airstream tinted. The windows are made out of corning glass, which apparently is not glass, but is much more heavy duty than plexiglass. The windows have some curve to them, so they'll need to be heat shrinked. Have any of you worked with corning glass? I've been reading some about the blister free film, but I'm not sure if that's the best route to go on this.

Any ideas?

Michelle

If it's cornering glass anything like the old Ford vans that used to be out there, then I would say the very best of luck to you :gasp

Just make sure you charge well, allow for lots of time, and profile your customer that they are not a perfectionist

Never heard of corning being plexi, just toughened for applications like cooking.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Corning_Inc.

I bet it's been replaced with plexi:

If you own a 1966, 1967 or 1968 Airstream, you know that the curved frameless windows are the feature that sets it apart. There's nothing more streamlined than those windows curving to the profile of the Airstream's body.

Airstream used the windows for only three years, and replacement glass was not available for several decades. Vintage Airstream owners were forced to replace their broken windows with flat flexible plastic that does not seal very well at the bottom. There were simply no real glass replacements available.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Corning_Glass_s/25.htm

Yes, they are curved frameless windows, just like the picture in the above link. The owner mentioned that one had been replaced with plexiglass, and that piece melted when she got airplane stripper on it. The remaining original windows were not affected by the airplane stripper though. So I'm imagining it's a much tougher material. TintWizard, what was your experience with Ford corning glass?

Those side windows aren't that bad to 10 if they are glass. the real pain in the ass windows are the corner windows on the front and rear of the camper. if you look to the small picture on the left hand side with the people standing in it you can almost make out the front corner windows of the camper.

Guest spfwindowtinting

The problem with tinting them is if they out-gas. We do some tint on plexi when ever customers just have to have it, but we always advise against it. The problem is you will never be able to scrap the glass clean if there are blister problems. Depending on how old the plexi is may not have that big of an issue. I know we have tinted some new pieces of plexi and the film just roll right off after a few hours in the sun.

Guest VaTinterPMan

I tinted a Golf Course Driving Range Picker that picks up the balls from the range. That had some Plexi-Glass that you are talking about. But I don't think its different. They just make different strengths of it. Like from 1 which is some what hard to 10 that is extremely Hard...I don't know about it but It was a pain to deal with. The Plexi was some what flat but had some curve to it. I did the whole back window, and Than I did the whole front window also in a 40% plus a Eyebrow of 15%. The sides were really strange. It had the cage doors than looked like some custom fit some plexi in it that was harder to do...But I did that in a 40% also....

Word of advice....Do not cut on it at all...Make lines with a marker or whatever you use....It might not scratch but don't take the chance...And like someone else said find out what type of custy you are dealing with...It might be one of those things you want to pass on. IMO...

Guest VaTinterPMan

Well, our customer ended up going with someone that would warranty the work on the Airstream. We lost out on a good residential job because of it, but it sounds like this was a giant potential headache anyhow. Thanks for all the input. You guys rock.

Sucks that you lost out on another job cause of it...Or that is the way you made it sound... Sorry man...

Archived