problems w graphtec CE5000 plotter

Jays

I recently purchased a Graphtec CE5000 plotter from Tintek sometime in the summer of 2012. At the time I was looking for a reliable machine that would allow me to cut PPF & Tint maybe a little vinyl here & there. I called a number of shops looking at the Jaguar, Roland & Graphtec plotters. I debated w going with Film & Vinyl designs, Firstcut, Xpel & TintTek. So I decided on tintek since they advised me that the perfect machine for me would be the CE5K. I got the machine, blades, blade holders, stand and software for around $5000. For the PPF program I decided to go with the SunTek program. Now I read the manual & watched the video for how to use the machine. And at first I had the blades too far out and I fixed that. I would run my film in and test, test cut and was usually set to go. This is where it all went down hill.

I tried my first cut about a month or so after I got the first roll of PPF film. I made a couple of test cuts and was informed by tintek that the film should go down towards the floor then up and into the machine. I was also informed that when I used the 2 black C-clamps that they should go at the end of the rolls of film. Ok so on my first cut. the machine would read the rollers which were right, I would feed what I needed to feed and back it out & made sure it didnt move from left to right. Then when it started rolling out those little black tighteners would push up on the film and push it off the rollers which would pull the film out & un roll itself on the ground. Amount of damaged film was about 96" off a 50' roll by 30". ok so my blade depth was fine, the pressure was fine, the speed was fine but for some reason those rollers kept pushing the film off the 2 rollers off the back. That was problem #1

Problem #2: Ive noticed that no matte which way I feed the film whether it goes down towards the floor and up into the machine or towards the backside of the machine. That when the machine stops cutting the film unrolls itself. The problem with this is those rollers dont have a brake of anykind so the roll of film if left unattended will ultimately unroll the whole thing. So now im left with having to roll the film back on to the roll and guess what now my fim is not straight. So I have to spend hours trying to feed and re position the film to get it to cut straight. Ive talked to friends with Jauguar plotters that dont have this problem. I called Tint Tek and addressed these problems from day 1 and have got nothing but the run around about its the plotter settings, then I was told it was the teflon strip. Then I was told the film needs to go towards the floor and up into the machine. Well Andy at tinttek had a guy from graphtec call me and he said the film needs to go towards the back, that if the film needs to go towards the ground I need to purchase some kind of ground rod that will eliminate the static which causes the film to kink up and bind. Cause when it does that it crinkles in the plotter and damages more film. It seems like no matter which way I feed the film into the machine those rollers at the end roll all my film out. And were now in 2013 and ive got 3 big boxes of damaged film due to this. The people at tintek have been grateful for giving me credits when the film gets damaged. But I just need to hear it from someone with experience w this machine cause I dont know why mine has wasted so much PPF film. Even when I do watch it. so I was also told by the tinttek rep that those black C clamps need to be at the end of the roll of film, then again the graphtec guy told me they need to be on each roller not on the same. Ive complained and complained about this machine & although I dont have a problem trying to find a solution im getting very upset at the fact that when I call a company for support I get thr run around on what im told it could be. Id prefer answers and not assumptions.

Then the graphtec rep called and said they would replace the machine since im having so many problems with it but I needed to pay the difference for another machine. So im getting conflicting information to make this thing profitable. Ive spent 5k on a machine and more than 2k on PPF film and im getting no where. Whats more of a pain in the ass is no one knows anything about this machine and everyone seems to be using Jaguar plotters. So I have pics on my computer at home and a video of whats been happening and if anyone can give me some insight on whats going on id appreciate any info before I lose more money on this.

thanks

Jay Oliva

jaysdetail.com

I wish I could help as I use the Tint Tek system (tint only) and have no issues. I use a Q100 . Some people use a peice of $.80 foam pipe insulation and place it in the "U" of the tint to keep it separated and not get all "staticky " . It does kind of sound more like a plotter issue. Have you ever talked to Cyndi from Tinttek ? I find her very knowledgeable program wise. If its a programming issue, she knows her stuff and can even take over remotely to fix your settings, if its not a programming issue , then it would be plotter which would be up to the plotter rep to help

yea and its not a software issue. Its a plotter issue . I spoke to a rep from graphtec and he offered to replace it but I would have to pay the difference for a new machine which im not happy with at all.

nope I purchased it from Tintek and im in Texas :( I called the Xpel guys and they werent much help either. So im kinda on my own on this one. The Suntek PPF designer was very helpful & I spoke to him at SEMA and he just said that most of the guys doing ppf usually use the Jaguar plotter. Then I was at a tint school & we used a Jaguar as well & the trainer said he's never heard of it either.

Guest rancherdesign

Hi Jay, I'm not a tinter but a sign guy but I have used this cutter for years without any problems. I don't even use the little camps to hold the roll but it sure seems you are having fits with this machine. perhaps you could take a picture of the way you set the film up to feed into the cutter and post it and then I could try and help. the problems you are having shouldn't really have anything to do with pressure, blade depth, cutting strip etc. should be easy to solve I think.

randy

You will have to babysit the roll and use your hand as a brake. Just the weight of ppf is enough to keep the rollers spinning when enough material is outn These were designed for vinyl and even most vinyl is lighter than ppf. I havent used a jaguar but wonder if the rollers have a brake on them.

What I'm getting at is its not a problem with the plotter or setup. Its one of those "it is what it is" type of deals. Our plotter feeds onto a table. Tint can you can plot it and walk away. Vinyl needs to be watched as it feeds and helped out when pushed. Ppf needs 2 guys just due to the weight of it. One in front of the plotter so it doesnt stick on the table, and one behind gently applying pressure to the roller acting as a brake so it doesnt unravel.

Archived