• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I did cars, 99% of the time I would drop the film down 1/16 or 1/8 fom the top edge. It almost eliminates the chance of peeling from the film hanging up on a gasket. Frameless windows like a Vett....I would file. I just used a fine flat file. It was just a pita waiting for the film to dry enough so it would not tear when the file hit it.

When I did cars, 99% of the time I would drop the film down 1/16 or 1/8 fom the top edge. It almost eliminates the chance of peeling from the film hanging up on a gasket. Frameless windows like a Vett....I would file. I just used a fine flat file. It was just a pita waiting for the film to dry enough so it would not tear when the file hit it.

There is no more chance of film peeling from shaving (if done properly) than leaving a gap. Unless you leave about a 1/2 inch gap, the film will still hit the seal at the top both ways. As for waiting, it is simple. On the front doors, have both doors 1 step before ready to apply. Stick one door and get it almost ready to shave. Do the other door and do the same. By that time the first door is ready to shave. Shave it, finish it out, and then do the second door. No waiting. I've shaved every vehicle since day 1 and havn't had 1 come back because it was shaved. :thumb :thumb

There is no more chance of film peeling from shaving (if done properly) than leaving a gap. Unless you leave about a 1/2 inch gap, the film will still hit the seal at the top both ways. As for waiting, it is simple. On the front doors, have both doors 1 step before ready to apply. Stick one door and get it almost ready to shave. Do the other door and do the same. By that time the first door is ready to shave. Shave it, finish it out, and then do the second door. No waiting. I've shaved every vehicle since day 1 and havn't had 1 come back because it was shaved. :thumb :thumb

Same here yz101 :thumb except when I use Quick dry Plus there is no waiting...even in cold weather.

I wouldn't mind trying this, But how do you get in the corners and make it smooth looking? I've always been confused on that part.

When I round the corners, I will elongate the curve on the top so I can slide the film up until there is no gap seen from the inside. Then tack it down and shave it. I'll see if I can post a pic tomorrow.

I shave sometimes. Used to shave them all. I think I need to get back to shaving 100%. My problem is I may go a month between tint jobs..... It's only one of many services I offer. When you're out of practice it sure makes the jobs painful when you're getting back into the swing. Good thing I charge a buttload.

That file job in the video is the best I have ever seen with a file. Very clean work.

I'll show you a trick to doing them with a file.

real nice and smooth. love the video. I do have a problem at times with the film pulling away allowing contaminants in from top. I will be sure to concentrate on heating the top edge.

can you post the link to the video you mentioned, using a longer file to do a single sweep.

I thought about getting a crescent moon file. to avoid snagging the film. also tryed a fine chainsaw file. warning to anyone, do not use one. looks fine, round. but it will rip the film quick.

Archived