New Ohio Revised Tint Law!

So there is a new revised Ohio tint law taking effect on March 22, 2013. The new law requires all auto tint shops to register with the State Motor Vehicle Repair Board ($250 annual registration fee). Once registered you will be monitored like all collision and repair facilities. The biggest issue is that if a customer gets pulled over for illegal tint (metered less than 50% VLT on the front two windows) not only will they be ticketed but the shop who installed it will be reported to the board. First offense is a warning. The second offense is a 4th degree mistermeener and a 180 day court ordered shop closing. On top of that the customer can go back and sue the shop for "damages" and court costs associated with getting a tint ticket! Sure you can tell the customer to sign a waiver or don't give a receipt but the word is the board will have undercover agents like the ones who monitor the liquor controll boards rules at bars and ect..go into shops to see if any shenanigans like that are taking place. Looks like no more 50-35-20% film for the front two windows which is what 95% of customers want. This also will make customers who insist on darker film on the fronts seek out those "backyard" Tinters advertising on Craigslist to do their tinting. What are your thoughts on this?

F2AAF5CD-2ACE-41E5-9A81-03A3863BAFD0-13069-00000A45FFEF29A5_zps377b828c.jpg

5965633E-F63D-486E-ACFC-FC43BC9E5AA6-13069-00000A46062EFC93_zps840b8ede.jpg

Oh they'll enforce it! That sucks. Around here they are popping the inspection stations, they pass one darker then legal and get caught they can be fined up to like $3500.00 and/or pull their license if they want. DMV is straight up tint mafia around here, if it reads 31.9 inspector ain't letting it slide :nope

All I know is if Im gonna follow the rules I'll make it my mission to make sure ALL shops even the backyard guys follow the same rules. Which means the board will be getting a few anonymous calls reporting illegal tinting after I find out they are. I wonder who lobbied for this law adjustment?

Archived