Proper installation of media rolls.

Guest paddfoot

Guest paddfoot

Hello,

I need some help with my Roland CX-400 Plotter.

I bought this used plotter from another tint guys.

I had no experience with film cutters before – guys I've bought this cutter from showed me quickly how to load material and use software. And I started to use it since then. I don't have anything but only headache with this cutter.

1. Cutter doesn't cut through the first layer of tint completely all around the contour - I Have to finished it with knife. I hope I will fix it soon - because I've ordered new blades and blade holder - will see how It will help me.

2. Media roll constantly moves to the left and right on it's place during the cutting process and it makes my film slides to wrong position - I checked manual for my cutter and found out that I need special stoppers on the one of the rollers in order to keep media roll from moving left and right. So I'm going to buy them.

3. the most important question - I see that brackets which installed on the frame of the cutter and hold rollers and media roll on them - were modified (extended about 3") in order to bring media roll away from the cutter. I think It was made in order to prevent sticking of the film to itself when I cut something lengthy - as rear window for example. Problem is that this modification made whole construction very weak and loose - it's easily shaking to the left and right and I don't like it - I think this issue increases problem with sliding of the film in the cutter to aside instead of pulling it straight. Could somebody tell/show me what is the best/right position for these brackets and media roll and how far they should stick out of the frame of the cutter. As I can see now - ends of the brackets are about 12" from the frame but originally they should be about 9" away.

4. I watched some video on youtube about cutting film, here it is:

I've notice one very interesting thing - they installed media roll the way when film supplies from the side of the the roll which is far from the cutter and film goes over the top of the roll. The same type of installation I've found in manual from my cutter. (1 on my pic). I've found that I can't install my media roll like that - because in this case tint layer will be on the bottom and clear layer will be on the top when it will go through the cutter. But I don't need to cut it through both layers - I want to cut only tint layer so I have to use different position - when I supply film from the closer side to the cutter from the bottom of the roll (2 on my pic)

cutter.png

So, what is the right position and how do you install your rolls?

thank you.

New blade holder and blades are a good start. Other thing you should replace before even putting a new blade in is the Teflon strip. Manufacturers roll film differently. Regardless, you have to load it liner down on the plotter. The idea is to cut the film deep enough but not through the liner. I don't use the stoppers on my rolls. Sometimes they do run offline a bit. But I changed rolls so often it didn't matter much. Are you changing thickness in rolls? Mil? When you get ready to set yo the blade do this.... Put blade in the holder and twist the bottom piece so when you run your finger over the blade you can just barley feel it. Then when you go into the settings on the plotter you will want to set the force at 110g. Do some test cuts and see how it does. You can adjust from there

Guest paddfoot

Thank you very much for your tips!

I checked my blade in order to set it up following your advice and found that my blade was completely sticking out from the blade holder. I remember that I tried to adjust it in order to fix the problem with uncutted spots in the contour of the window and it didn't help me. Looks like I did everything wrong.

My question about brackets for rollers (shafts) and media roll are still open.

Why nobody can give some tips about this issue?

I searched myself and found out that previous owners of this plotter have modified these brackets (made them longer) in order to prevent sticking tint film to itself when cut is lengthy. Because I've removed those additional pieces and installed brackets like they supposed to be installed. It made whole thing more still and stable but I found that in inner-down load position tint film is too close to itself when plotter pull it back when it returns to the starting point of the cut.

I've found only one decision without any modifying of the plotter - I need to use media rolls which can be loaded in the outer-top position. In this case when film is going back - the media roll by itself divide two lengths of the film and prevent sticking.

So, anybody, would you please tell me - how do you load plotters in order not to have this problems with sticking, moving of the rolls left-right, etc.

Do you buy only rolls which can be loaded in the outer-top position, or you have modified your plotters somehow - please. any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

I've loaded both types of rolls and have had no problems with the film sticking to itself. I think the film your using has too much static electricity or something. The brackets should have 3 slots to put the roller bars in. I have mine on the back 2. also how are you lining up the film before you clamp down the pinch rollers?

Archived