am I lieing to my customers ?

every time a customer comes in with a 4dr truck or an suv with the factory shaded glass , I recommend to them that they apply window tint to the back half of the vehicle as well instead of just doing the front two doors. the reasoning behind this is because the factory shaded glass does not block out the heat or the uv rays. anyways I had a customer with a ford escape tell me that her salesman informed her that all the glass , including the windshield blocked the uv rays , not sure if he told her anything about heat rejection . and honestly im not sure what ive been saying is accurate at this point . any info would be greatly appreciated . thanks

I always explain to customers that factory privacy glass does not have UV protectant or the heat rejection of a window film. I know that with some factory privacy glass this might not be true, but hey...need to make the sell.

I figure that there is BS told to sell any product. When I bought my exhaust H-pipe for my mustang it says it adds 12-25 HP, which is BS.

Guest tint14u

I tint the frt an tell the custy to try it out cause they aren't feeling any relief from the rear with the frt clear an let them know we can always layer the back. 6 out of ten come back for the layover the back. Works great for me!!

I simply tell them the factory glass does not provide any UV protection unless it is stamped. This is somewhat true. Most mercedez, some lexus and bmw WILL have a stamping that says "UV". It's an easy sell. It's not exactly a lie because we really don't know the truth or specs. Someone can measure it but most (99.999) of customers do not know the difference whether it has uv or not.

I belive the windows on the back of an suv just has coloring in it,

and will just shatter if a rock or hailstone hits it.

The tint helps to hold the pieces together, just look at the cars

after a hailstorm.

there is a UV "blocker" in some windows, it will say it on a stamp on the glass. From the cars we have done, some of them don't have anything, some do. There is also usually a percentage number associated with the ones with the UV stamp. I have yet to see a stamp that states that it is 99% UV though. Most of the time we have seen a 49% or a 38%, so the full 99% is not achieved. As for glare reduction, heat rejection most aftermarket films will have superior stats in regards to standard OEM glass. We usually sell a 50% or 70% ceramic film over factory glass, which ups the stats quite a bit, including blocking IR, if you want to offer the best upgrade for your customers in that regard, I'd sell them on the ceramic :)

also, it helps if you go out to the vehicle and point out the stats if they are stamped on the window or if they aren't. Then the customer has something to look at on their vehicle and it is more than just your opinion or you trying to sell them more than what they came for.

Pilkington hints at the performance on their site, Saint Gobain does too and they (SG) even has a chart showing the evolution of auto glass changes.

You'd be stunned by the numbers on today's auto glass. I'd encourage a deeper look into clear, tinted, and privacy glass.

Meet the customer in the parking lot. Under the sun, have them put the back of their hand on their clear front windows. Now have them put the back of their hand on the colored glass. All the colored glass does is collect heat and radiate it inward. A light metallized or ceramic IR blocking film is an easy sell when they see how much heat those windows collect and do not reject/reflect.

True. However, films (no matter their composition) and IR absorbing (dark) glass work much the same way in that they achieve their best performance when the car is in motion or the wind exceeds 7.5 mph, which provides a cooler temp to migrate to. Even the old LLumar Platinum Plus film allowed the inside temp to elevate beyond comfortable over time in the sun; albeit slower than dark glass.

When a vehicle with dark (privacy) glass or film sits in the sun long enough to elevate the interior temperature beyond the outside air temperature, heat radiates from dark glass to the now cooler outside air and what does transmit through continues to warm up the interior. The solar properties of film and glass are there mostly for creature comfort while driving and not so much for parking at LA or Pheonix Airport for 8 hours of the day.

Archived