Questions about Film Star - Original

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this product.  I have used the newer, mass production version, but I was able to get my hands on one of the original Film Stars and I have a few questions about it.  I tried calling Tint Wizard but the answering machine sounds like they may no longer be around.  

1) How do you connect the slitter blade?

2) Can you use rolls with liner in and liner out?

3) Can it be mounted from a ladder? ( I mounted my "newer" one from a ladder)

Thank you

I have one of the originals, the cutter is attached to the cable, it is a ball bearing cutter and when you step on the pedal, the cam turns, pulling the cutter with it. Idk if the company is still around but yes you can use it with liner in and liner out films. Just twist the rubber band so the rollers counter rotate from one another. I think one of the advantages of this thing is that it goes on the floor, I would not want to mount it on a ladder. It would be difficult to push up on the pedal that you normally step on to cut the film.

Either your cutter is full, or you need to hold the film tighter so it does not bunch up when the blade hits it. I used mine for years before the cable broke and I got a FH to replace it. IMO, the film star is a better mouse trap but its downfall is all the moving parts. When something breaks you need to send it to NASA to get it fixed.

I will dig mine out sometime this week and snap a few pics. If I remember, I think it was in the 7-900.00 range. A few years ago I spoke with the guy who made it and he said to send it back and he would refurbish it. I never did, but I was nice of him to offer. I'm not sure if he is still making them or not

Archived