Johnson Renegade

Looking for some word on how it's holding up long term. I used to use Ray Guard and witnessed 2 different friend's vehicles turning blue in under 5 years. One was a Sentra and the back window bubbled up as well. There's no telling how many others out there that I did with the same problem.

I am both a Llumar and a Johnson dealer. I use a lot of Llumar ATC, especially on front roll-up matching, and have never seen a color change or adhesive failure with Llumar. I stick with the Llumar on 90% of installs because I know its proven.

But I also keep a little Renegade 20 in stock for use on certain cars where I need the better shrinking capabilities. (Like the Beetle!!) I have a neighbor with an Altima that I installed Renegade on 2 or 3 years ago, and it could be imagined but it looks like the back window is lightening up.

What's y'all's experience?

Every time Johnson come out with a new series (dyed films mainly) I have high hopes it will last as long as Lulu's dyed ATC. So far they havent even come close. A 36" box of Renegade is only like $20 less. It definitely shrinks more, and faster, and has great adhesive, but I hope it lasts.

Im near the Smokies in East Tennessee and we do have some warm summers, but moderate to cold the rest of the year. I would hope that a "lifetime warranty" film such as Renegade would still look decent after at least 4-5 years, especially in this climate, long enough for the average original owner. 

I'll be keeping an eye on the couple cars around the block that I've used it on, and will update if I see any definite color change. Like I said on the Altima I did, its only been a couple years and there hasnt been a definite change or failure, but it just looks lighter than it once did. 

Keep the posts coming if theres any other good or bad news on the film! :beer

Guest Jethro

I was planning on having 20% Marathon or Renegade installed on my Elantra GT, should I consider a different film?

I live near Omaha Nebraska.

Also, is the Marathon close to non-reflective at 20%?

The local installer does not carry Renegade, so it would have to be a special order.

I received a sample roll of marathon 20 when it came out, my recollection is that it was a little shiny for my taste. It may have been since improved, but I don't know; I never ordered any. It is a hybrid film so it will have a little metal in it. Renegade is dyed, and very non reflective.

I wouldn't think there would be any durability issues with either, as long as you get a lifetime warranty and a good installer I'd say go with whichever you like. Maybe he can show you what marathon looks like on a vehicle he did recently?

I started this post 8 months ago, as of today I still have no Renegade warranty claims.

I always thought any metallized film would have some shine. Not to brag on Llumar, but their metallized ATR series is just as non-reflective as their dyed film. (8%)

Guest Jethro

I received a sample roll of marathon 20 when it came out, my recollection is that it was a little shiny for my taste. It may have been since improved, but I don't know; I never ordered any. It is a hybrid film so it will have a little metal in it. Renegade is dyed, and very non reflective.

I wouldn't think there would be any durability issues with either, as long as you get a lifetime warranty and a good installer I'd say go with whichever you like. Maybe he can show you what marathon looks like on a vehicle he did recently?

I started this post 8 months ago, as of today I still have no Renegade warranty claims.

I always thought any metallized film would have some shine. Not to brag on Llumar, but their metallized ATR series is just as non-reflective as their dyed film. (8%)

Thanks NVL, I went to several tint shops and picked up samples of tint and looked at the few cars that were finished.

Samples on bright white paper background,

Llumar ATR 20 = green

3M FX HP 20 = smoke

3M Color Stable 20 = black/blue

Unfortunately, no 3M vehicles to view,

Truck w Llumar ATR 20 - Most definitely green, Not a factory look.

2 cars with scorpian 20 - Neutral, maybe it was the install but didn't look great.

SunTek STD 35 - too light but ok

SunTek STD 20 -  This surprised me, with all the bashing of suntek on this forum, the std 20 was the closest to factory.

It was on a truck with factory tint on the back and std 20 on the front.  To my eyes, it was the best I've seen.

I'm going to look at some more tomorrow and hope to see JWT-Marathon, and 3M CS, HP and PM.

Archived