How tough is vinyl wrap?

Guest J90

Hi everyone I need an honest answer. How tough is Vinyl wrap? I have a Range rover L322 and the front and rear bumpers are prone to scratches and scuffs from other peoples inept parking.

I'm thinking of putting a colour coded vinyl wrap on the bumpers to protect them. I know I wont get an exact match colour wise but will it protect the bumpers?

In fact I have another question. Can you double layer vinyl?

Thanks

Guest stickout

hey, 

i have a vinyl 3m sticker on my car for over a year and it is very durable and doesn't scratch.

i also wash it owns a week and it still look good.

i think it really depends on the quality of the sticker.

MiniDrops_zpsad38d23c.jpg

Guest Limo Jeff

Bumpers, what a cool idea ,  was going to repaint mine soon.

I imagine it could work out well to recondition the old bumpers and molding on my car. My lower chrome splash guards have seen better days too,  I love the ideas here.

Guest excelcolourprint

In our opinion we wouldn't recommend using vinyl to protect your bumper. Vinyl is there to change the colour of a vehicle, in some respects it protects vehicles from weather, dust and light scruffs but if a car was to reverse into your vehicle, the vinyl wouldn't protect it. Even if it was a light bump you'd run into the risk of getting scratches, dents etc. 

Also double layering it wouldn't add any additional protection as vinyl is very thin and light. You can get some vinyls that protect your vehicle, but these are very thick so you can't really wrap it around curves etc. 

To finalise the question. Vinyl wrap can't really prevent scratches but it does prevent UV rays from fading your paint work. Also vinyl protects your vehicle in harsh weather conditions and can withstand light wear and tear but it's not a reliable, protective solution. It does look fantastic when applied though. 

You can find examples of our vinyl wrap work here: http://www.excelcolourprint.co.uk/showcase/

Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ExcelColourPrint?ref=hl

Regards. 

David - Social media executive at Excel Colour Print 

Vinyl IS a viable option to protect your paint in fact it was designed to be a paint protectant not 'there to change your colour' it was never designed to be a cheap alternative to paint, it was designed to protect your OEM paint and provide a reversible option.

Of course it is not going to stop everything but you will be surprised at how much it can take and it would need to be a pretty deep/hard scratch to get through it. Am a bit surprised that it is mentioned it cant really stop scratches.

You would be better off with PPF as it is a thicker (more durable) than vinyl but again it wont stop everything. At the end of the day vinyl will work or PPF but it will come down to what you are looking to protect, neither is a bullet proof cover for your car but they are the best two options on the market....

Archived