Panorama ~ SunTek ~ or......

Guest trogladyte

Comparing film specs?

http://search.nfrc.org/search/apd_film/film_search_default.aspx

NFRC = Unbiased testing - best source for any film that is enrolled, including 3M. Suntek is listed as Commonwealth Laminating and Coating I think. NFRC are the same dudes that rate glass performance, can you imagine that minefield? We got it easy..

Suntek may very well be readily available but that does not necessarily mean the installer is sub-par nor the film. Some guys (like me) just don't like being tied to buy in programs when there are so many similar products available without the "exclusivity wow sales factor" Or as I like to call it the EWSF, (totally different bunch of guys working there).

I would watch out for high absorption rates in a climate like Arizona - you don't want them windows to become a heat radiator - not nearly as effective as reflecting heat. At least get a good thermal stress warranty because replacing broken windows gets expensive. That is probably covered with the Panorama program though I would hope.

If a salesman starts out by bashing another product I personally would not be too hip to that, but he does have a point - 90% IR rejection = a lot of absorption doesn't it? Logic tells me so - if it has virtually no reflection does it not then mostly absorb? Works good on cars with air movement but if that window is just sitting there in the desert sun I would bet she gets pretty hot. What is the absorption rate of that 3M product compared to Slate 30?

I would look it up but I'm kind of tipsy and just bored here, but not THAT bored. Bet they are both on NFRC but maybe not absorption values - in that case look for SHGC #'s, the lower the better.

Check out the large commercial buildings in the city, 100 bucks says they have reflective glass and in my opinion that is the most effective option for high heat areas.

Hope that NFRC site helps.. I am obviously biased towards reflective films though, mostly because I see my handsome self in them everyday - so I may have totally ignored your point, dual reflectives do look cool at night though, especially with my mug in em'.

But fella's here please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if I'm wrong, except for the handsome part I know that is true.

You sir,

Are a legend! Love it!

All class my friend, all class

Is there any way to buy the panorama slate 20 film direct?  I replaced a small window and need the film added, but installers are charging $250+ minimums to come out.  If there isn't a way to buy that product direct, do you know of a retail product that is the same color/type?