Panorama ~ SunTek ~ or......

Guest trogladyte

Guest trogladyte

I know nothing more about films than they are, well, films and they go on windows! So... we just moved to Phoenix and have some serious heat coming in the south ans west windows despite them being relatively new (2007) double pane IGUs. We're wanting to put some film on them to, predominantly, cut down the heat in summer.

We've had 2 quotes so far and the pricing is all over. Here's the figures and products thus far (includes film, prep and tax):

8 windows - approx sizes (H x W):

1x 72" x 72"
2x 72" x 17"
2x 48" x 60"
5x 48" x 24" (these 5 are 15' off the floor give or take)

Suntek - either IDS20 Bronxe or DRDS 15 - $885.00

Panorama Hilite 70 or 40 - $1350.00

Panorama Slate 40 - $675.00

The Suntek dealer is claiming 78% and 75% heat rejection respectively. Panorama guy is claiming between 53% (Slate 40) and 61% (Hitlite 40). I haven't met the Suntek guy - he just sent a quote based on my measurements (which are pretty accurate). We liked the Panorama guy who told us about 3M and their "creative" way of claiming high 90% rejection (which I found a couple of threads about on this site).

Would anyone care to comment on the relative merits of each and any other brands/products we should look at. As I said, our main concern is keeping the temperature down in the house, though we don't want to have to turn on lights at midday either! We don't really want to turn our windows into mirrors either as only some windows are being treated - others are under large overhangs and not exposed to direct sun). I'm also interested in manufacturers warranties.

Thanks.

Edited by trogladyte

Film can do one of 3 things with heat. Absorb, transmit or reflect. Ceramic films have a high absorption rate and may not play nice with IG units. DRDS is going to be a dark reflective material that will alter the natural appearance of the glass ( but also keep out more heat ) Homeowners always have to make a compromise somewhere. spectrally selective films are going to give you the lightest appearance with the highest heat reduction for the VLT. They are also more expensive.

Edited by TomTint

Did the Suntek guy send samples as well?? As Tom mentioned those films are on the darker side..  Esp. compared to the Panorama films.

Prices vary depending on the area.. as well as the quality of install.  Regardless of which film you pick, you don't want it to look bad when installed. 

If you like the Panorama guy, ask him to show and give prices for their SB 20 and Tru Vue 15.   They are very similar to the Sun Tek choices and you'd have the full range from the guy who's shown you the best service and you seem to like.  If he's been Panorama for a good while I'd bet his installs are good.  Sun Tek's readily available to most any dealers, not so for a Panorama dealer.

Guest Mobile1

Comparing film specs?

http://search.nfrc.org/search/apd_film/film_search_default.aspx

NFRC = Unbiased testing - best source for any film that is enrolled, including 3M.  Suntek is listed as Commonwealth Laminating and Coating I think. NFRC are the same dudes that rate glass performance, can you imagine that minefield?  We got it easy..

Suntek may very well be readily available but that does not necessarily mean the installer is sub-par nor the film. Some guys (like me) just don't like being tied to buy in programs when there are so many similar products available without the "exclusivity wow sales factor"  Or as I like to call it the EWSF, (totally different bunch of guys working there).

I would watch out for high absorption rates in a climate like Arizona - you don't want them windows to become a heat radiator - not nearly as effective as reflecting heat.  At least get a good thermal stress warranty because replacing broken windows gets expensive.  That is probably covered with the Panorama program though I would hope.

If a salesman starts out by bashing another product I personally would not be too hip to that, but he does have a point - 90% IR rejection = a lot of absorption doesn't it?  Logic tells me so - if it has virtually no reflection does it not then mostly absorb? Works good on cars with air movement but if that window is just sitting there in the desert sun I would bet she gets pretty hot.  What is the absorption rate of that 3M product compared to Slate 30? 

I would look it up but I'm kind of tipsy and just bored here, but not THAT bored.  Bet they are both on NFRC but maybe not absorption values - in that case look for SHGC #'s, the lower the better.

Check out the large commercial buildings in the city, 100 bucks says they have reflective glass and in my opinion that is the most effective option for high heat areas.

Hope that NFRC site helps..  I am obviously biased towards reflective films though, mostly because I see my handsome self in them everyday - so I may have totally ignored your point, dual reflectives do look cool at night though, especially with my mug in em'.

But fella's here please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if I'm wrong, except for the handsome part I know that is true.

Guest thatsnappyguy

Slate 30 is my favorite film to sell and install. Still lets is a great deal of natural light, yet keeps out a ton of heat, more so than the hilite40. It is a beautiful film on dual pane glass too. 

CollageCreator_13.png

I'd still go with the guy that showed up, seems residentially flat glass oriented with his suggestions, and is reasonably priced too. That's versus the over the phone, automotive oriented guy suggesting typically commercial films at a higher psf price cause he doesn't really want to leave the shop. That's my take, but what do I know other than I too, am a handsome man.

Unless your windows on your home are made of 1/8" clear glass, the spec sheets from either manufacturer are providing incorrect performance values for your windows. 

Use the NFRC site to compare properly. Factory spec sheets can be very misleading.