I used to do a lot of work for a Landrover dealership (40+ cars per month). Official line through their service dept (via communication with factory) was to NOT apply any film to panoramic sunroof.

I used to do a lot of work for a Landrover dealership (40+ cars per month). Official line through their service dept (via communication with factory) was to NOT apply any film to panoramic sunroof.

Good to see you back again BillyRay. :waving , how's the new shop going?

Why do they recommend not tinting the sunroof? I agree, some sunroofs should not be tinted as per the Spallshield link I posted above.

I have come across many dealers in my time where the 'official' company line is to not apply window film, to not apply rust proofing products and basically to not fit anything which they do not sell to you themselves.

I just like to look a little further into things is all, there could be a very good reason Landrover state this, I would just like to know what it is.

If fitting film  voids the manufacturer warranty, then I would probably give it a miss though.

Just got off the phone from LR Australia, they rang a big dealer in Parramatta, and the tinter they use, both advised against tinting the panoramic roof. Its a factory fitted thing obviously and if it did go bang it would be an insane bill to fix! I'm wondering if Dev was right about this one! Although it does reek of the official company line Daz that's true...

Yo, Rocky (sorry, had to do that)

New shop is going well, still plenty of work to do before I'm satisfied with our market share.

Landrover didn't give any explanation apart from "just don't".

Strangely, when faced with a similar customer request, the Porsche and Audi dealerships said that it was not recommended, but were happy to take the customers' money as long as the customer accepted liability if something broke (ie no warranty coverage).

I don't know the actual specs on the type of glass used in pano roofs in those euro cars, but I know they would be hella expensive to replace, always found it easier to err on the side of caution. Big gamble for a customer to take on a new car.

My wife works for Mercedes Benz, their service dept Also advises against tinting the sunroofs or panoramic roofs. Again, no real explanation apart from "because we said so".

BR, check back to my link on the previous page re.  Du Pont spallshield on some MB model pano roofs, I wouldn't be touching that either.

Archived