99 Pontiac firebird

Got my first one of these today. I wet shrunk the back glass on the top. I also tried my best to get the fingers at the bottom to form according to other posts a bubble. My questions do you have to get all of this together? Also how much should you shrink the bubble? I tried one piece and of course creased it in a few spots. Mostly in the middle towards the bottom. I also just stayed going over the bubbles with the blue max. Should I have taken more time to go over it with my hands first? Thanks for the help.

Guest kccartint

A bit of an oddball car.  In 97 the glass changed and the bottom was a little smoother.  In short... no heat on the bottom (bubble) and very little wet shrinking on the top.  After a few you can do them without heat.  You can start at the bottom laying the film smooth and working up when making the pattern.  If you take note how the film moves when smoothing the bottom before cutting you can mimic those same moves on the inside when applying.

When laying its important to use care and commit to getting the bottom squeegeed out and following with a towel never hurts.  Its actually a really easy window after a few.  Cut V's were the defrost is since the film is going to change size when applied and trim inside.

A little tip.  Do the back window first and when done leave the hatch up.  It allows the water to run out and stay out allowing you to go back over the dots when they are dry.  They turn out much better this way.  There is a little trick you can use for this as well but I am out of tips for the day.  :lol

Guest kccartint

It does but not necessary since you have plenty of black out and room to work.  Trying to flatten the film on the outside just raises the risk of creasing the film before application.  Just leave the bubble and cut your pattern.  Heat the top and lay it.  If you have OCD or are new to the car then lay it smooth on the outside.  Will help understand how your film is laying or put your quarks at ease. :D

Should make three large fingers in the lower middle. Basically right in the curve. Shrink the middle one first then the 2 outside fingers. And it should lay nice at flat. Before shrinking trim the film very close to where the border is. This will help greatly in shrinking it out. Leave to much and it is more difficult to shrink.

20140528_194504.jpg

Sorry the picture isn't better but here it is. I tried twice without shrinking the middle/bottom and was unsuccessful. I then shrank it on the third piece, after about 45 minutes I had it laying flat. I sanded the dot matrix two or three times but still didn't get it to lay completely flat. I even went after tinting the front two and pushed on it again with hard card. All in all my first go at it definitely not bad. Thanks for all the help guys I couldn't have done it without y'all.

Guest kccartint

Oh and the reason it looks so distorted is the light reflecting my popcorn ceiling. Sorry I'm not a photographer.

They take a few before you look at them like another car.  Looks like you got it handled.  We have all creased and cused these cars at least a time or two.  The next one should be much easier.  As long as its not a few years from now.  Its a easy window to try and forget.  :D

Archived