Installing window film with out taking door panels off

I pull the sweeps the majority of the time. I pull the entire liner and let the inside piece fold back over my hand while sort of pinching the other end between my thumb and nail of my forefinger.

Targeting is very important. I drop the bottom inside corner first and slowly work the film into place. If you stick the film too high you will contaminate the top of film as you slide it down. Stick too low then you run the risk of pulling up contamination as you slide the film up.

Here in the last few months or so, I have actually been removing panels and bottom feeding the film. It takes a little more time to tint a car but the job does come out a lot cleaner.

Removing panels can take some time but most newer car panels come off fairly quickly. Most of the time you can just pull the seals and that only takes a few seconds once you know exactly what to do.

Pulling the seals then installing the film actually saves me time over leaving them in. I rarely spend time shrinking the doors since the seals are gone, so if a finger pops up no biggie. No seals = no contamination shooting up into the film.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tintwerks

I'd like to see/learn the drop method. Anyone have a video?

I apologize I would have replied earlier.just finished web site and had a at&t phone disaster. That being said, I will make a vid tomorrow on the drop in method.I myself set the top and pulled the liner from the bottom for years.all free hand cut.I learned the alternative method while using a plotter for film and PPF. Heard of someone doing it that way,saw their work and was impressed.Taught myself, maybe three cars to perfect the technique.

I pull the sweeps the majority of the time. I pull the entire liner and let the inside piece fold back over my hand while sort of pinching the other end between my thumb and nail of my forefinger.

Targeting is very important. I drop the bottom inside corner first and slowly work the film into place. If you stick the film too high you will contaminate the top of film as you slide it down. Stick too low then you run the risk of pulling up contamination as you slide the film up.

Here in the last few months or so, I have actually been removing panels and bottom feeding the film. It takes a little more time to tint a car but the job does come out a lot cleaner.

Removing panels can take some time but most newer car panels come off fairly quickly. Most of the time you can just pull the seals and that only takes a few seconds once you know exactly what to do.

Pulling the seals then installing the film actually saves me time over leaving them in. I rarely spend time shrinking the doors since the seals are gone, so if a finger pops up no biggie. No seals = no contamination shooting up into the film.

I agree with Lock.Good description of dropping the film in.Correct on targeting.very important step

Vehicles like Ford,KIA and Hyundai..You can pull top of panel back with window in the down position and pop out seals fairly easy.some its best to pull the fastener behind the inside door handle.before pulling back top of panel and removing the seal.Speed and what works faster comes with experience.Doing this allows you do drop film in rather then applying film from top and pulling liner from bottom.Cleaner install I believe and fundamentally easier.Just my take on it.

I'd like a vid of this drop bottom method... please...

I apologize I would have replied earlier.just finished web site and had a at&t phone disaster. That being said, I will make a vid tomorrow on the drop in method.I myself set the top and pulled the liner from the bottom for years.all free hand cut.I learned the alternative method while using a plotter for film and PPF. Heard of someone doing it that way,saw their work and was impressed.Taught myself, maybe three cars to perfect the technique.

Pull a sweep out and look at how much contamination they hold, that should be enough proof to show why we pull em out. Eliminate the risk of also having the film roll up on your customers a few years down the track. Secondly, most new cars have a double felt sweep to reduce glass scratching. your tint should be below both edges, not just one.

I drop the front corner well below where i need it then tuck the back side in, and kind of rotate the front side up and the back side down. Works pretty well for me but use lots of slip. Im sure other people do it differently

That's pretty much been my method for the last 11 years in a nutshell aswell, only the front corner is dropped to pretty much where i need it (not well below). Then without tacking it down, i trim the top, then drop it like maybe 1mm or less, enough to not have an edge but not enough for a gap, then lock top half in. Wind up, finish bottom half. Never liked the filing method really.

Also I pull liners out or entire trims off every single car i tint (depending on if liner is attached to trim or not obviously). Have it down to a fine art now, can strip all 4 in 1-5mins i quite enjoy taking things apart anyway haha. Only 1 car im nervous about stripping is the BMW cus someone fed me a story one day about airbags going off when the trim was removed lol

Archived