Air80 with CTX40 over windshield, too hot?

My own personal vehicle, so I figured I'd go for an all-out heat rejection test. I used Llumar Air80 for the 43% heat rejection, then CTX40 to get another 44% heat rejection and some glare reduction. Then I put a strip on it.

I know the whole "even heat" on a windshield rule, but this is gonna get down-right friggin' hot on the glass. I'm actually a little concerned after almost blistering my finger today. Then there's always the possibility of some uneven shading or a cold rain on a hot day.

Has anyone tried such a combo and had a glass break after install?

I'll go ahead and say early on that despite my wording, I do agree with what you are saying about the heat % calculation, Coast.

And, I've done quite a few dyed 45s and 35s with a strip too. But double ceramics-first time. :thumb

Has anyone tried such a combo and had a glass break after install?

Vehicle tempered glass can withstand high temperatures. 

I don't think there's an issue.

Hey Fat, haven't seen you around for a while. Most windshield glass would be lam. These days which is where the problems will arise with heat absorption.

Hey Fat, haven't seen you around for a while. Most windshield glass would be lam. These days which is where the problems will arise with heat absorption.

Hey Rocky, how have you been?

Been busier during the summer months. tired.

Don't worry about the heat absorption on windshield, the risk is way higher on aftermarket china replacement-windshields or if there's a small crack on it.

Thanks for the replies. Speaking of clarity, Air80 does have a little bit of reflection, as does CTX, that's the only drawback of having such a heat rejecting lighter-VLT film; so both over each other isn't as optically impressive as I hoped for.

I may end up redoing it with just one layer of my proven ATC or ATR before it has a chance to fail.

Besides, if 2 layers are rejecting/absorbing that much heat, it's probably radiating quite a bit into the cab and defeating the purpose :lol

Archived