Cops and 35%

Had a call from a nsw cop today, he got a little angry when I told him we didn't do illegal tint. To cut a long story short he has a mits triton crew cab and wanted the rear doors and rear screen darker than 35. He was convinced that the nsw RTA rules allow darker than legal on a commercial style vehicle. I gave him kudos for being a cop and took another look at the link for the nsw laws from the WFAANZ and it is a little grey when it comes to commercial vehicles in that it just says light truck or utility up to 3.5 T

Any one shed some light on this? Am I right in thinking a triton is still a passenger vehicle especially if it's registered as one? Am I incorrect???

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-03-rev3.pdf

Page 3-4 should answer the question.

I always thought it would depend on how it is registered, but the compliance plate should tell the story of whether the vehicle is a "light goods vehicle" or a type of "passenger vehicle".

I suspect a Triton would be classed as a passenger vehicle.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012C00326/Html/Text#_Toc326158540

Section 4 lists the Australian vehicle categories that are stamped on the compliance plates.

Had a call from a nsw cop today, he got a little angry when I told him we didn't do illegal tint. To cut a long story short he has a mits triton crew cab and wanted the rear doors and rear screen darker than 35. He was convinced that the nsw RTA rules allow darker than legal on a commercial style vehicle. I gave him kudos for being a cop and took another look at the link for the nsw laws from the WFAANZ and it is a little grey when it comes to commercial vehicles in that it just says light truck or utility up to 3.5 T

Any one shed some light on this? Am I right in thinking a triton is still a passenger vehicle especially if it's registered as one? Am I incorrect???

Copper is right JJ.

There is no minimum VLT for  glass behind the B pillar on trucks, commercial vehicles (that includes utilities under 3.5T) or buses :cool

BTW, I don't think you can register any form of utility as a passenger vehicle :dunno

no vlt limits on commercial vehicles in nsw big fella , fronts only at 35%

Archived