Rain X

2013 Honda insight need some help I couldn't shrink the rear window is there a reason why any tips please

Hey junior, I've seen you ask a couple of time about this backglass. I wonder if your pre-pattern (before shrinking) is too small?? This is a relatively easy back glass to shrink if you leave the edges rather long all the way around. Dryer sheet shrink with the standard H pattern(not to fast) and you should be fine. When you prep the outside make sure your glass is "acting" properly. Watch your soap solution as you clean it to make sure there isn't any chemical on the outside of the glass. Also make sure your dryer sheet prep sets up correctly(chemical will affect this also). Try it again leaving the long edges and let us know how you do. :thumb

BTW-beware the Dodge Charger if you are not used to shrinking slow and having to use all the film.

The last part of the shrink of those is PITA

:beer Good luck

Thanks bham the way u tall me is the way I do it.now that I think about it the lady told that the car had water stains and she put some stuff to take it off and she wasn't able to get rid of them. And she told me she will pay me to do. So maybe that's why the window isn't shrinking its a small window. m going to give it another shot on Friday.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2013 Honda insight need some help I couldn't shrink the rear window is there a reason why any tips please

Hey junior, I've seen you ask a couple of time about this backglass. I wonder if your pre-pattern (before shrinking) is too small?? This is a relatively easy back glass to shrink if you leave the edges rather long all the way around. Dryer sheet shrink with the standard H pattern(not to fast) and you should be fine. When you prep the outside make sure your glass is "acting" properly. Watch your soap solution as you clean it to make sure there isn't any chemical on the outside of the glass. Also make sure your dryer sheet prep sets up correctly(chemical will affect this also). Try it again leaving the long edges and let us know how you do. :thumb

BTW-beware the Dodge Charger if you are not used to shrinking slow and having to use all the film.

The last part of the shrink of those is PITA

:beer Good luck

When I cut the rear glass I cut around the glass then I shrink it. and then I get my drop light and I cut just a Lil over the black line

If you think there is chemical on the outside of the backglass.  Then carefully razor blade the whole glass first, or use 0000 steel wool (or do both) to try to remove the chemical, Then tint as normal  :D

If you think there is chemical on the outside of the backglass. Then carefully razor blade the whole glass first, or use 0000 steel wool (or do both) to try to remove the chemical, Then tint as normal :D

Ok when m shrinking the rear window you how the fingers zig zag or change patron on this one it doesnt do it. its just gets more thiner????

If you think there is chemical on the outside of the backglass. Then carefully razor blade the whole glass first, or use 0000 steel wool (or do both) to try to remove the chemical, Then tint as normal :D

Ok when m shrinking the rear window you how the fingers zig zag or change patron on this one it doesnt do it. its just gets more thiner????

:hmmm   That sounds like you have your film turned the wrong way.  Best I could make out from that sentence  :dunno 

Okay, now I think I understand.  When you cut around the wiper, the area that is left is a small area that has to stay, so that you have room to trim it properly.       Now, what is happening is , in that curved area around the wiper, you are overshrinking the  side of it, where you curved the cut.    Lay your window out and try to go as close to the wiper hole as possible.  When you do your H pattern, start with the corner that involves the wiper working your way away from the wiper,,,not towards it.  If you have to, slow shrink this area, so you don't over shrink in the wrong direction.   When you cut a curve in the film, it will try to shrink from the sides instead of the top and bottom.  You have to control this.  Hope this helps.  It's the best I can do without watching you do it.  :thumb 

Because film shrinks up and down and not side to side,,,,The  next time you have a normal backglass with no wiper,,,,,just for fun,,,,when you lay it out, cut a 2-3" circle in the lower center of the film where you know you are gonna have to try and shrink around it,,  Then try to shrink the backglass as you normally would.  When you start shrinking around that whole you cut in it,, you will see how the film is acting and understand a little more.  

Because film shrinks up and down and not side to side,,,,The  next time you have a normal backglass with no wiper,,,,,just for fun,,,,when you lay it out, cut a 2-3" circle in the lower center of the film where you know you are gonna have to try and shrink around it,,  Then try to shrink the backglass as you normally would.  When you start shrinking around that whole you cut in it,, you will see how the film is acting and understand a little more.  

Not bad Bham!  :thumb

Thank you... That was hard to put into proper words.  But basically,,, the curved cut  is causing the film to shrink sideways instead of up and down.

Archived