What are they cutting this with?

I have seen this occur when the film is very loose on the roll and the film telescopes on the slitter. I have to admit, I have done that to a roll or two when I didn't take the time to make sure the roll was tighter and trying to cut too fast. Maybe that is why the warehouse staff won't let me near the slitter. :lol2

It's a function of the winding tension.  Too tight and you get the core impressions.  Too loose and you start to see cuts like that.  It's all about finding the "sweet spot".

Upon seeing that, the natural assumption is that the blade was old or dull but that is usually not the primary factor.

EWF owns a total of 5 slitting machines, the newest one being in the Florida warehouse.  It's a different design than the other 4 units.  The blade contacts the roll at a completely different angle.  So far, we have not had a single bad cut with the new unit.  If this continues, I might consider having the other 4 units modified.  I have had pictures like this emailed to me and I know that the dealers do not like it.  In fact, I just sent a link to this thread to the crew.   We do not use red cores, so I am not sure whose film this is.

-Howard

It's a function of the winding tension. Too tight and you get the core impressions. Too loose and you start to see cuts like that. It's all about finding the "sweet spot".

Upon seeing that, the natural assumption is that the blade was old or dull but that is usually not the primary factor.

EWF owns a total of 5 slitting machines, the newest one being in the Florida warehouse. It's a different design than the other 4 units. The blade contacts the roll at a completely different angle. So far, we have not had a single bad cut with the new unit. If this continues, I might consider having the other 4 units modified. I have had pictures like this emailed to me and I know that the dealers do not like it. In fact, I just sent a link to this thread to the crew. We do not use red cores, so I am not sure whose film this is.

-Howard

Good Afternoon Howard!

Being that you have a place in Florida, what would it take for me to stop by some time and see exactly how the splitting process works?

It's a function of the winding tension.  Too tight and you get the core impressions.  Too loose and you start to see cuts like that.  It's all about finding the "sweet spot".

EWF owns a total of 5 slitting machines, the newest one being in the Florida warehouse.  It's a different design than the other 4 units.  The blade contacts the roll at a completely different angle.  So far, we have not had a single bad cut with the new unit.  If this continues, I might consider having the other 4 units modified.  I have had pictures like this emailed to me and I know that the dealers do not like it.  In fact, I just sent a link to this thread to the crew.   We do not use red cores, so I am not sure whose film this is.

-Howard

Hey Howard, the new slitter that you are using in the FL warehouse, do you have a website link that you can post or email to me? I am always interested in newer technologies when it comes to the slitting machines. Thank you in advance, my email is whitehog@att.net .

Good Afternoon Howard!

Being that you have a place in Florida, what would it take for me to stop by some time and see exactly how the splitting process works?

Hi Ocala,

I am sure we can work that out !  I am headed up to Danbury all next week but will be back here the week after that.  I will ping you.

Regards,

Howard

Archived