which films have the largest shrinking capability.

My question is i use llumar films and ive noticed when doing clio, 206 and golf mk5s rear windows in one peice the film is on its limit where it wont shrink anymore without burning, usualy get around this by shrinking the last tiny fingers when the film is applied on the inside.

Has anyone found a difference in the shrinking ability of different films. Thankyou.

There are many factors that determine how well a film shrinks.  Some of them include: 

1.  MD/TD ratio.  This is the ratio of stretch that the polyester has been stretched in both directions when it was extruded.  Machine Direction/Transverse Direction.  Not too much and not too little.  There is a sweet spot that most installers like.  

2. Hard coat.  This feature on a film is a "sleeper" .  If the hard coat is slippery it will facilitate shrinking because the film will not stick to the glass and the film will float better making it easier to utilize all the film and not causing fingers to lock down and over shrink them.  

3. Adhesive.  I have just noticed that too much adhesive or a poor formula may cause the film to feel rubbery and just bog down the film and make it difficult to work with. Less adhesive usually makes the film feel more paper like and is easier to work with. 

4. 2 ply 1.5 mil.  This is the perfect thickness for a film to shrink and not crease.  If the film is 1 ply and/or 1 mil, it may shrink well but is it much easier to crease. 

I might be a little biased here.... but Panaflex is the easiest film I have ever had to shrink on anything.  It has been engineered to shrink with respect to what I have mentioned above. I have a difficult time shrinking most top brand films on a back glass of a 1997 cutlass supreme but with Panaflex a beginner tinter can do it.  

post-27361-0-04781500-1433732374_thumb.p

Dropping your line, helps, with real curvy back glass`s

say i mk 5 golf, let the wet line sit lower, bottom 3rd and then you get a few fingers more at top, but less to shrink at bottom,as we all know tops less curvy most b,gs

Prob best i ever used for shrinking would have to be Global Qd or Qdp, Beetle one piece no issues, lift and pull method, suntek 2nd best for me,,,

Thankyou for all the replys will give the lift and pull method a try just on the bottom edges also leaving the tint much larger at the sides. I use a soap bar in a microfiber cloth, have just read about using car polish/wax to dry shrink, any thoughts.

I've never heard of using wax, but I guess it would work if was dry. When I started tinting I used baby powder (taught by Stan) but switched to dryer sheets (bounce) shortly after. Been using it ever since. I've even seen guys just start shrinking the back window using the dirt or dust to keep the film from sticking.

Archived