LOW E glass, tinting and removal

Hey guys,

these are some questions iv had for a while and i just quoted a small office yesterday with what i believe could be low e glass as it looks hazy in direct sunlight.

If film is applied to LOW E glass does it then cancel out any insulating properties of the low E coating?

when cleaning low E i know that no blades can be used i learnt that the hard way last year lol (customer aka builder assured me it was not low e and just lami, he was wrong)

So if film has to be removed say because customer is not happy with film type or later down the track if film ever has a warranty issue or just needs replacing, is there a safe way or removing film and adhesive? (most of my films are Dry adhesive)

will the film damaged the low e coating when removed?

im coming across a lot of low E glass lately because of building regulations and i dont want to make a mistake that could cost me tens of thousands to replace all glass in homes

Ok, so surface #2

Yes -Film negates low e coating's ability to reflect FIR back into the room

Yes -You can damage coating during removal but single pane low E is usually pyrolytic which is a much harder coating than soft silver

Better to use PS adhesive films and remove without using blades. :twocents

Hey guys,

these are some questions iv had for a while and i just quoted a small office yesterday with what i believe could be low e glass as it looks hazy in direct sunlight.

If film is applied to LOW E glass does it then cancel out any insulating properties of the low E coating?

when cleaning low E i know that no blades can be used i learnt that the hard way last year lol (customer aka builder assured me it was not low e and just lami, he was wrong)

So if film has to be removed say because customer is not happy with film type or later down the track if film ever has a warranty issue or just needs replacing, is there a safe way or removing film and adhesive? (most of my films are Dry adhesive)

will the film damaged the low e coating when removed?

im coming across a lot of low E glass lately because of building regulations and i dont want to make a mistake that could cost me tens of thousands to replace all glass in homes

Hey mates, the common LowE coatings down here are extremely hard. So hard that damage to the surface with blades is unlikely. Those marks you leave in the glass when scraping, are actually metal off your blade, not marks in the coating. These can be removed with a 5% hydrochloric (pool) acid and water mixture. As mentioned, film will mostly if not totally negate the lowE property of the glass, but depending on location/climate, that might not matter.

I agree, that using a PS adhesive film is best. Getting CDA off Low E is nightmarish.

Be really careful.

Down here in Melbourne I've seen so many homes with the cheap LowE single pane glass.

You just think of using a blade and it scratches big time.

Your finger nail will scratch it.

Be very careful on these brand new homes being built nowadays.

Most builders are using the imported glass from Asia, DO NOT SCRAPE!

And an easy way to check if it's a LowE coating on #2 is if your fingers grip when you run them along it.

Cheers.

Archived