Xpel does it again!

I have to say the same thing has happened to me here but it didn't really effect my business. So I could care less. People don't like Xpel because they are shady. This example isn't one of them being shady and underhanded.... but there are many cases of Xpel going out and undercutting local installers who promote and install Xpel film. Its happened in about every market they have opened up shops. Its only a matter of time before they do it to other people in this forum. They know what kits your cutting (DAP tracks that) and they do talk to their installers and have an idea of the installation rates and what dealerships you have. So its very easy for them to go in and undercut installers in that market when they open up an Xpel shops there. Their openly stated business objective is to expand their installation business as much as possible. So if you choose to install Xpel film then you are funding your future competition. You think they wont do it to you but I have had multiple people I have never met in person contact me after it happened to them.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could someone clear this up for me, because I am still not seeing any sort of argument here.  :idontgetit

I keep seeing people say that Xpel is opening up shops???  :?  What the heck are you talking about?  I can't find anywhere that has a shop with the name Xpel on the front of it.  Xpel doesn't have a storefront company(or am I wrong and this is the main argument)??  

I see where they have dealer locators with shops in all cities.  But none of them say Xpel on the front.  They are all install shops like everyone else.  

If I am wrong about Xpel having a brick and mortar storefront using their name, then I apologize, but it still seems to me that everyone is getting upset because a shop down the road decides to start carrying Xpel??

Every single manny out there does this exact same thing.  So what's the beef?    

I can't get upset if the shop down the road starts installing the same film that I do.  Good for them and good for my film supplier. I am still going to install my film and keep making money.  If the fact that the shop down the road started carrying the same film as me is causing me to lose business, then something else is wrong.  Not the film or the fact they carry it.  

I know plenty of shops that are right next to each other that install and sell the exact same products.   

Okay, Like I said, I apologize, as I did not know that they actually have their own retail installation locations.  

Is this really Xpel's fault?  Are you saying that Xpel should just sell and supply you with what you want and that's it?  They should not try to better themselves or expand their business to new levels  :hmmm   Doesn't seem  very smart to me.  

This is the big business problem around the world.  Xpel or Wal-mart however you want to look at it.  They have the capital and power to build their own retail locations.  And when they do, there is always some smaller business that is going to get their feelings hurt, because now they have to restructure their sales and re-grow their business in a different way because the big guys have moved in.  Either that or close up shop.  

Unfortunately the reality of the situation is... THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!  It's going to happen and nobody can stop it.  

The other reality is you would like to be the same as them.  You can say you wouldn't but I would have to call BS on that.  If your shop was to take off and need to expand and you move into someone else's territory, my guess is you would be dealing with same argument.  While it might not be on the same scale, it's still the same argument(or feelings getting hurt).  Why should you be stopped from expanding because someone in that area is complaining about you taking their business.  No different than you complaining about Xpel opening up near you.  

If you are going to be in business then these types of things are going to happen, and you will have to figure out a way to survive.  

I think we all mentioned that Xpel didn't do anything wrong in this instance. We were just trying to better inform you because like you said, you didn't know. This comes back down to the installer and what he is doing to keep his business and grow it. Minty had some very valid points and we haven't heard back from JCT on the subject since. 

This is a good thread...XPEL has 6 that I am aware of which will be 10 by year end.

The challenge here is installers globally have to prepare to be aggressive and professional to keep there business and grow while deflecting competitors away.

Easier said than done...as playing against a manufacturer can be an inbalanced line.

Dig in and create value using industry resources to help you build your business.

I have been informed that the owner of this dealership is friends with this xpel rep and he has another dealership in a different town as well, and I'm not sure what type of pricing structure this xpel rep told the owner he should be paying or if this xpel rep set a price up with my competition I have no idea, I used the DAP to create pricing stuctures depending on coverage that had the xpel name on them, now I wish I would have just put my business name on them.

Archived