Xpel does it again!

So I have been doing a certain high end  dealership for about 5 years, and out of the blue this xpel rep stops at my shop and I was out on a commercial job as we do all that too and  he talks to one of my employees about switching films to Xpel , we use SunTek and are happy with there product, well a few weeks go by and ive heard through the grape vine that the Xpel rep had gone to one of my competitors in town and set them all up and stole my account, ive been using xpel for years and theses guys are solargard true cut all day and I doubt they pay for both programs, just a shot out there at what Xpel is up to!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused, you just said you use suntek and not Xpel. What of Xpel do you use if you use any of their product? From the surface, it doesn't sound like they did anything wrong. They helped a competitor of yours switch over to their Xpel film and also land an account that you weren't using Xpel's film for. It also sounds like Xpel didn't go direct to the dealer and set up an in house program so I do believe they didn't steal anything. Maybe you can clarify with a little more detail as you have contradicted yourself with your statements.

:idontgetit   Why is everyone mad at Xpel for trying to expand their business and going out and getting contracts??  

If you have a good product(which apparently Xpel does)  Isn't this what we are supposed to do??

@JCT - - Do you not go out with whatever product you are using(please clarify), and try to get new contracts??  Now if you land a new contract, is it okay for the guys you took that contract from to act the same way you are acting??  Footwork and outside sales are how you expand and grow your business.  

I use and pay for the DAP program witch is a great program and the patterns fit great, I just choose to use Suntek PPF. This Xpel rep did go to the dealership and talked the owner, and then came by my shop and talked with my employees, and was asking them if we would switch films, I think he didin t think we would, so this Xpel rep  went to another shop in my town that uses computer cut by solarguard and set them all up and went back to the dealership and had them switch to them, I just feel since ive been using and paying Xpel for years for the DAP that they should have supported me not my competition!

Even if you can prove the exact timeline of who went where and talked to who first, It still sounds like Xpel is just doing their job. 

You're already using Xpel's program, so how is this not supporting you?  You choose not to use their film :hmmm  That's not Xpel's  fault.  

It sounds to me like you got your feelings hurt by losing a contract??

I'm not real sure how to deal with your rationale?  

Maybe my feelings did get hurt, I just wish xpel would have worked with me more than coming into my town and doing what they did, now I feel I need to find a new cutting

software to use, and yes I did start a new user name, I really don't post a lot just mostly read the forum, ive been tinting for 25 years and ppf for about 9 years.

Surely if the dealership were happy with you they would have stayed or at least said to you that they have had a cheaper quote for the work. In my experience dealers only jump ship for a few reasons.

1, better / more reliable service. (Dealers hate anything that makes their life more complicated) 

2, cheaper (Profit, dealers love profit)

3, better film (not in how easy it installs but what it looks like when finished, that's all they see and all the customer sees)

4, bigger brown envelope...(bribe / kick back)

In reverse order,

4, I don't deal in brown envelopes or bribes / kickbacks, never have, never will.

3, better film...not a lot between Xpel and Suntek, if anything to my eyes Suntek has less texture if viewed side by side so as a dealer trying to sell it who has already seen Suntek I would think he would probably lean that way.

2, If you are providing a first rate service and have been under quoted surely the dealer would give you an opportunity to at least match the quote.

1, Only you know whether you could provide a better more reliable service, be honest. My McLaren dealer transports their cars on a 140 mile round journey for me to install ppf on them, even though they have a ppf company within a mile of them because I have never let them down and bust my balls for them to meet the occasional tight deadline.

Xpel will make far more from an installer buying material than they will from someone just subscribing to their cutting software so obviously that's what they are going to do, they are in business to make money... What has your competition offered the dealer that you cannot provide. I can't believe it is just the film.

Steve

Again, you hit the nail in the coffin bud. You don't use their film. You use their software only. That's not supporting their company and products they offer. Your employees clearly stated that they use suntek and are happy with it just like you stated. Minty has some valid points. If the dealer was happy with you and what you were offering, they probably wouldn't switch or give the business to your competitor. Sorry bud, but as everyone else on the thread has pointed out, they haven't done anything wrong in this instance. You need to circle back at yourself and look closely as what you do as a business because everything Minty mentioned holds true. Now if they went in and tried to sell them direct when you were already offering them Xpel film and they set up an in-house program, that's a different story. That clearly didn't happen in this case. I wish you good luck.

Archived