Advanced Training

So I have been tinting since 1989,  getting impossible to contort into and out of cars due to bad discs.  Was considering starting a advanced training program and tour the country.   

what if you could tint a car in under an hour?  my son and I on our best day did 5 cars in 2.5 hours maintaining quality.

Do you think there is a market for this?   For a tech to come and offer sales,technical and management  training   what would be a fair dollar amount for this type of service?  Looking for some feedback before I Leap to a new adventure

My current acounts I have had for ten years,  mobile tinting for automotive shops.  sales exceed 6 figures.  what would be a fair price to sell it to someone? 

thank you in advance for your feedback

It is a changing industry.  Courage distributon (Sungard)  was going to hire me as a trainer till madico pulled the line and made them sign a 2 year non compete agreement.  I did work for Ziebart International as a trainer for a number of years flying around training their stores.  But you make alot more as a tinter then as a trainer.  I do have alot of reps contact me and send me film for evaluation.  It is hard to evaluate it with 15 or 20 feet.  different films react differently.  Nobody likes change whether your a film installer or 12 volt.   The concept involves showing techs the proper way to  use the film and decrease install times.   More cars per day obviously equals more bucks per week.  not many shops I know will take a tint 1 hour before close.  More cars per week obvioulsy equals more film purchases.  I know money doesnt cure all problems, but I do seem happier with a chunk of change in the bank.

Nothing wrong with a non-compete at the manufacturer's level. Get in, drink their koolaid, have lots of bennies and raises, next thing you know you're too old and crusty to worry over no compete clause.

Flat Rock Stan does the kind of training you desire, he's about the only one that does it but he does have background support to be able to at his level. Independent trainer is a bust without a sponsor.

Edit: And personally I believe 'Advanced Training' is a misnomer. You train someone to do the basics and pratice leading to experienced or seasoned makes them advanced. Can't teach or train experience, IMO.

Contact Eastman/LLumar, they have a training program for independent and dealership start up 

5 cars in 2.5 hours with TWO tinters is not a big boast. Another guy on here was visiting with me years ago and we knocked out a 4 door carry in 45 minutes and were not trying to move fast.

I would love to know any tricks to move quicker with less effort. My normal time on a door car is around 1.5 hours. That includes pulling the car in and out though.

What I like about this site is that its a great place to pick up tips and tricks  making my job quicker and cleaner.  1989 when i started there was no internet to speak of really.  as I traveled the country I developed my skills by watching other and exchanging knowledge as you all do here now. 

Im a mobile tinter,  so 30 min a car is good with one bay loading and unloading the tools and film for the different cars and pulling them in and out. typically poor lighting so touch ups are done outside.  Still have a week off before i go back to work.  training a newbie starting monday.  will post a couple more vids of my tecniques if interested 

The question is always "Why"

why do you tint the way you do,  most answers is thats the way I was taught

Why do we shrink fingers.  Ive never seen a finger in a window,  only in film.   think about it

why do we tuck into the lower gasket, peeling?   never seen window sticker peel  so why does film

why do we shrink BG's to the outside of the window?  glass is 3/16 to 1/4 thick so inside curve is tighter then the outside

why is a understanding of gravity, geometry and electricty a neccessity for tinters?

Nothing wrong with a non-compete at the manufacturer's level. Get in, drink their koolaid, have lots of bennies and raises, next thing you know you're too old and crusty to worry over no compete clause.

Flat Rock Stan does the kind of training you desire, he's about the only one that does it but he does have background support to be able to at his level. Independent trainer is a bust without a sponsor.

Edit: And personally I believe 'Advanced Training' is a misnomer. You train someone to do the basics and pratice leading to experienced or seasoned makes them advanced. Can't teach or train experience, IMO.

Contact Eastman/LLumar, they have a training program for independent and dealership start up

Great post on this subject Smarty.

I am independent but lucky enough to be sponsored by a brand and group of people I am sooo personally impressed with, Global Window Film. 

Nuttin wrong with drinking corporate cool-aid and I'm with ya Shady on tinting wearing the body down. Lots of new guys don't pay attention to their knees until its to late!!

Twenty years ago when I made the decision to train, it made me pretty unpopular with tinters. Glad for the most part the training profession is accepted now days.

Most times when I'm approached to come to a shops physical location for training / business management.... what they really want is someone to come tint a bunch of cars for them. Generally for less than I would make tinting in my wife's retail shop and sleeping in my own bed. :twocents

Having set training centers even for advanced training eliminates a lot of distractions people have in their home environments which allows beginning and experienced tinters learn the faster, cleaner and easier ways to glue plastic to glass.  

Feels good at the end of every day training to see people advance and better their lives, to be successful you have to feel that way!

cheers mang

Stan

Looking back,  the greatest satisfaction I received was taking rookies and giving them a chance to learn a new skill and increase their GPA.

K-12 grade your graded on your work,  after you graduate Its called your W-2 or 1099

I did in traing in the corporate headquarters and in the field.  Field training gave a better understanding of the location.  Lighting, tools salesstaff could also be assessed.  I had many techs go back to their shops and strugle.   example why cant they buff and vacuum the car while he tints it?  I still strugle with one shop i tint in.  high volume wholesale detail.  8 young kids cleaning cars in a big shop while i attempt to tint.  yes less distractions at your place,   bett evaluation at theirs.

A fused lumbar spine is working well for me. Three months of severe pain fixed years of ice pick pain in the lower back.

I agree, new tinters (including myself 26 years ago) don't think about their knees or back sustaining in their career. I remember when I first joined on TD, and all of the old tinters got on my case about crouching to install door windows; now I know why.

Archived