What does the future hold for tinting in aus?

The Devil is right in much of what he says. There are guys out there that are still running around, even after 20+ years, from the back of their cars taking as many jobs as they can for the lowest price. Living from day to day.

One day in the future (if it's not already here for them now), they may realise what fools they have been.

Dev

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the future in Oz?

Great question.

It is going this way without doubt below and I've highlighted a few points.

1. More and more commercial/domestic work will gradually disappear for add on films as the option for actual high performing solar glass gets more specified, more affordable as time goes on and more choices and permanent.

2. Auto will be invariably become all UV protected at time of manufacturing with privacy glass the norm.

And if you want proof of that, when did you see a modern car not coming out with factory tint?

Look at things that have come to pass in such a short time..... zone toughened windscreens, clear glass, rubber encased windows that had to be roped in, deletion of 1/4 vents, deletion of manual wind up windows, aircon in everything, station wagons gone to SUV's.

Look what happened to the aftermarket sunroof business and its operators.

Tinting is going through an evolution so keep your powder dry, observe the shift and don't get caught with your pants down.

Devil

Interesting point Devil regarding flatglass. I am forming an opinion that the FG salesperson and big glazier is like the ming mole/car dealer over again.

A case I am currently dealing with is that the architect specced comfort/solar performance glass so a tick goes in the box for thermal efficiency.

However, the sun positioning etc make the place a glary light box and the performance glass doesn't cater for this.

My custy is going ahead with an external film ... Sure I got the sale but would have preferred the inside job at the beginning ????

Interesting point Devil regarding flatglass. I am forming an opinion that the FG salesperson and big glazier is like the ming mole/car dealer over again.

A case I am currently dealing with is that the architect specced comfort/solar performance glass so a tick goes in the box for thermal efficiency.

However, the sun positioning etc make the place a glary light box and the performance glass doesn't cater for this.

My custy is going ahead with an external film ... Sure I got the sale but would have preferred the inside job at the beginning

More cost effective for the client to install to the inside. If it is truly hi-performance glazing, it will accommodate so many more film products compared to clear dual pane. Just need make sure any low-E coating is on the number 2 surface (inside facing of the outer pane).

Dev,

regarding low e glass if you apply film on the inside (coated side) it will greatly reduce its insulation properties, so good for summer, not good for winter

Also risk of thermal stress if its lami and the fact that most films have dry adhesive, you will never get that off low e coated glass without destroying it as blades leave carbon marks all over the coating

i have still applied films to the inside but i warn my customers.

Archived