What does the future hold for tinting in aus?

Unfortunately it is just human nature 101 to go for a cheap price, save a buck, without a second thought as to why the price is lower (until its too late). You can push your quality as much as you want but you have to remember the people with lower quotes are also pushing their 'quality'. They aren't sitting there saying we are cheaper because we use $hit material and do a $hit job. That's what makes it hard.

In my particular case I am the first that comes up on google in my area, most people strive for this but its a problem. Your the first place they call which means they have a base price to then go to your competitors with. Your competitor can be as good as you and use the same material  or be bad, but can secure the job because the customer gave them your pricing. A simple $50 off in the customers eyes is enough for them. Its just the sad way the world works.

You don't want a customer that wants it cheap but you may also be losing customers that would have been happy to pay but managed to get a tiny bit off for the 'same' service.

It means top notch customer service, online presence and portfolio (and everything else GTint mentioned) is just as important as the price.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Securing 'new' customers will always be problematical and yet it is where most businesses place most of their focus.

Be awesome for your existing customers, they will be your repeat customers and price becomes a secondary consideration for them

The future is looking very bright... Don't worry... A nice tint will fix that :D

Dear GTS,

With absolute certainty, I wish to confirm that two US manny brands will be selling Korean-made films to Australia in 2016, due to the collapse of Aussie dollar against US Dollar. This is the only way to maintain their profit margins and minimize price-hike in 2016.

Due to the decision of the above-mentioned, a third US manny is contemplating to supply china-tints from their own facility in China to fend off competition. They risk backtracking on their earlier promise that tints produced in China will not be sold into Australia.

What irritates me is that the first 2 mannies are not buying the top-notch Korean films that I had been sharing in TD. They are just relatively cheap and simple products for the dealerships and mass markets.

whats the quality of those korean films fat cat? im not fussed where its made as long as it is nice to shrink and install and has a good lifespan

Certainly easy to shrink as they are designed for mass market dealerships.

Almost color stable

Just non-impressive heat reduction

Cost was their main consideration.

Sir, I am just disappointed that they are not the best that Korea can offer.

It is a game-changer. the cooperation between US and Korean manny is not only meant to satisfy dealerships and mass-market.

Indirectly, this move will also wipe out the US Distributor-brands that that are selling Korean tints in Asia & Australia

Soon, there is no price that these US-mannies can't match.

In 2016, it will happen in Australia. Soon, it will happen in another country.

Hey there Fat :)

This issue that is now, and has been for decades now is 'longevity'.

These films from Korea, China... USA, India, whatever... have been tested over time. Films that don't last the test of time WILL NOT make the cut when the dust settles.

I also don't care too much where the film is made, I just care about the back up....

Nexfil and MaxPro have shut up shop in the last few months... The next 'supplier' that plans top offload film in the next few months without a solid base here will do the same.

Australia is not Asia, it is not the USA, it is not South America.. We have an expectation of quality here and businesses that want to survive will use materials that have a proven track record. Any attempt to introduce sub-standard films here will end in the same way as NexFil and MaxPro.

Yes... You will find a market for it within the dealerships etc... But it won't last as it will replicate the loyalty that you will see from new car sales people. "Limited'.

It is a revolving door. Tinters want service... Longevity, usability, quality, price. In that order.... Those who opt for cheapest will walk the hard road. This threat is not new.... In fact it will just be a case of another one bites the dust.

In a world which tinters are confused where their film is being made, and how it is constructed, it pays now more than ever to turn to people that you can trust will be there when the dust settles.

Cheers 

Hello buddy!

Here's my take......

This issue that is now, and has been for decades now is 'longevity'.

The US-mannies are very careful, nothing shitty will be sold in Australia under their own brands. Probably 2-3 of them intend to procure simple tints from Korea for Australia - by using simple film constructions, nothing will really go wrong. (average heat reduction)

I also don't care too much where the film is made, I just care about the back up....

The next 'supplier' that plans top offload film in the next few months without a solid base here will do the same.

Oh yea it is different this time. These are super established US-mannies with existing sales rep and distribution network on Aussie soils. Their main objective is to sustain profit margins by selling cheaper Korean films because of the weak Aussie dollar.

Nexfil and MaxPro have shut up shop in the last few months...

Nexfil did not really exit Australia. Their films entered Australia through other proxies. There should be at least 4 Asian mannies who are planning such alliance with US mannies:

• Nexfil
  • Another Korean manny
  • US-owned China-facility
  • A Korean-owned China-facility

In a world which tinters are confused where their film is being made, and how it is constructed, it pays now more than ever to turn to people that you can trust will be there when the dust settles.

Yes, I know another US-manny who is selling Made-In-Korean films under their US-brand in Korea. Therefore, Australia is probably the second market to adopt this business model. Just imagine it is like selling a samsung or LG assembled Iphone in Korea market, under Apple Brand.

Hey there Fat,

If the film is good and the support is good, then I welcome them...

Heck... If it is really good, I am open to plugging the products into my supply system.

However if just one of the processes or components is cheap, or short cuts are taken to save a few bucks... It will not last here, and it's name will go down with the people who where using the film.

It is not just the polyester... It is the laminating adhesive, the quality of the dye, the colour stability, the mounting adhesive, etc... They all must be top notch or they won't last here. And with social media so at the ready to bring to justice anyone who does poor work or uses faulty products, it will become a fast track to failure. This is why MEP Films are acquiring top brands that have proven longevity. And will not look at cheap new options. 

e..g. Where do the folks that used Nexfil and MaxPro turn to for warranty claims?

Like I have asked people many times in the past...

Q. If you could pay $10 more for a better film per car, and get paid $20 more in profit, would you do it?

Those that say no... Get no help from me.

The Devil is right in much of what he says. There are guys out there that are still running around, even after 20+ years, from the back of their cars taking as many jobs as they can for the lowest price. Living from day to day.

Just seems crazy to me.

Cheers.

Archived