Prime and seal?

New guy here, looking to get into wrapping as a DIYer at first, and maybe move into it professionally if I can ever afford a certification course from avery or 3m.

Anyway, I've been doing as much research as I can on wrapping and I noticed that in FormidableSloth's thread, he was priming and sealing the whole car before wrapping.

I'm assuming this isn't a necessary step, but what good does it do to prime over the factory paint?

if anyone's curious, i'm planning on wrapping my 02 Camaro convertible matte black.

That's definitely one thing to note. I used quite a bit of primer because I don't care about pulling the paint with the vinyl once I redo or repaint it. 

My clear was peeling in some spots so I wet sanded and primed before wrapping.

If I could do it all over again I would fill every ding/scratch and make the body smooth since I didn't care about the paint because as cool as it looks Satin black shows everything.

If I could do it all over again I would fill every ding/scratch and make the body smooth since I didn't care about the paint because as cool as it looks Satin black shows everything.

That was another question I had. To fill in the dings and the like is it okay to use spot putty (or glaze as some call it) to fill those in or do you need to sand down to bare metal? I know that if you apply filler you do have to primer over it.

Have you guys ever used the primer/sealer in the rolls or strips? Also I understand it would work like ppf upon removal and possibly peel up any paint that has been touched up.  However is there some sealer and primer that would affect the factory paint?  My cobra I will be wrapping has a near perfect paint job and I do not want to damage it.

Have you guys ever used the primer/sealer in the rolls or strips? Also I understand it would work like ppf upon removal and possibly peel up any paint that has been touched up. However is there some sealer and primer that would affect the factory paint? My cobra I will be wrapping has a near perfect paint job and I do not want to damage it.

You can try "probond" it's a milder version of 94 primer

Archived