Understanding ceramic film performance

Guest bbvaldezjuly4th

I think the thread is in agreement of the following:

- TSER is a calculation conducted under a prescribed set of environmental conditions (wind, solar radiation, temperatures)

- When actual conditions match the perscribed conditions TSER is THE BEST INDICATOR OF PERFORMANCE

- Cars are often under conditions that vary significantly from the TSER conditions leading to different TSER values

- The changes in TSER for cars are not all linear for all films - IR absorbers will improve more rapidly than reflectors under higher wind speeds

And here is where a need to 'agree to disagree' arises:

- Camp TintDude consensus: TSER is still the best we have because it accounts for the full weighted solar spectrum

- Camp BBV: TSER should be abandoned for auto and IR is really the important factor

Both approaches have their shortcomings in the auto application, and much of this thread has been shouting the sortcomings of the opposition while ignoring the shortcomings of your own (politics!!).

BBV, my advice on how to make your next experiment results less controversial:

- make sure you take an appropriate baseline measurement (both areas measure same temperature under same conditions before applying film)

- use black globe sensors (or paint your sensors in a matte, non reflective or metallic paint) to make sure you are capturing something closer to the skin conditions than your previous experiment.

THANK YOU! I agree! Yet I need not post another experiment. That has been and is already being conducted by EVERY member of Aimcal. BUT the results are not posted by ALL of them.

And YES! Both TSER AND IRR have their shortcomings in automotive applications!

I AGREE!

But there is ANOTHER ONE that accounts MORE CLEARLY performance, as it relates to automotive!

Now, of the two ( TSER and IRR)

I still hold the stance that IRR is the better of the two. ( automotive)

However there is a third measurement of performance that will please BOTH , advocates of TSER and advocates of IRR.

And it will not shall we say " ruffle feathers ".

It may in fact " rock the boat" with some mannies. Some will jump on it, some will not. But nonetheless I do believe the majority of our industry professionals will undoubtedly agree on it.

I have given enough hints. Until later.....

I may present this idea to ALL mannies, Aimcal, the IWFA and as well as social media at once. ( in other words release the info to all concerned at one time and being well orchestrated)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived