Mobile tint up selling

Ok so I do mainly mobile tinting for 12 volt shops. For the ones that are also mobile do you offer your sales staff an upsell film, say a higher heat rejection ceramic? If you do how affective has it been for you? I have been wanting to try this out in the spring but wanted to get some input. Thanks for the input.

I agree with Ocala, always offer higher end films.  Even if you can only get 1 upgrade out of 10 jobs, that is still more money.  I look at it this way, you are there tinting anyway right?  Why not do the exact same amount of work and make more money?  In the end it is a win for both you and the shop financially along with a better performing product for the customer.  Over time the shop will feel more comfortable selling it which will turn into a higher percentage of upgrades.

I'm not an installer so maybe I can chime in from a consumer prospective. Given the option for an upsell I think a lot of picky people like myself would and do go for it.

Here in Southern California, where there is a huge car culture, having "the best" tint or tires means something. Not to mention if presented from the standpoint of more

Comfort for you or passengers it's something I think a lot of people think about. If someone just dropped 50k on a car what's 100 more bucks for the "best" film.

Yep.  When I was a consumer getting window tint on my vehicle, I always called and asked for tint and they quoted me a price.  Never price options or upgrades...just a flat price.  This includes bigger shops that were Llumar and 3M dealers that clearly had higher end options.  I never thought about it back then until I got into window tint and I realized how dumb it was for them to assume I only wanted the first level.  As I said before, you are there doing the job anyways so why not provide the consumer with a better performing product while making more money...it is a no brainer.  However, not knowing anything about window tint I didn't know better.  IMO, we (window tinting companies) are part of the problem of consumers thinking all tint is the same since a huge amount do not try to educate the consumer on the differences.  Had a guy call the other day and I gave him a quick rundown of films/prices/discounts and his response was "Oh, I thought you guys had better pricing".  I told him he called the Lamborghini dealership looking for a Kia.  He laughed and I let him know that when his tint turns purple, fades, or bubbles to make sure he chooses correctly next time.

Mobile tinting auto and having to bring the many boxes of diff darkness choices and diff types of film and a few darkness choices does not sound fun,,but I am sure you have a van

Then this doesn't match my last Tints?lol

Just having fun

Yep. When I was a consumer getting window tint on my vehicle, I always called and asked for tint and they quoted me a price. Never price options or upgrades...just a flat price. This includes bigger shops that were Llumar and 3M dealers that clearly had higher end options. I never thought about it back then until I got into window tint and I realized how dumb it was for them to assume I only wanted the first level. As I said before, you are there doing the job anyways so why not provide the consumer with a better performing product while making more money...it is a no brainer. However, not knowing anything about window tint I didn't know better. IMO, we (window tinting companies) are part of the problem of consumers thinking all tint is the same since a huge amount do not try to educate the consumer on the differences. Had a guy call the other day and I gave him a quick rundown of films/prices/discounts and his response was "Oh, I thought you guys had better pricing". I told him he called the Lamborghini dealership looking for a Kia. He laughed and I let him know that when his tint turns purple, fades, or bubbles to make sure he chooses correctly next time.

Its tough to spend the time needed with all customers when you get calls from people wanting to know "how much it is to put some tints on my foo doo car". The flat price offered over the phone is a way to get them in and then try upselling.

Yep. When I was a consumer getting window tint on my vehicle, I always called and asked for tint and they quoted me a price. Never price options or upgrades...just a flat price. This includes bigger shops that were Llumar and 3M dealers that clearly had higher end options. I never thought about it back then until I got into window tint and I realized how dumb it was for them to assume I only wanted the first level. As I said before, you are there doing the job anyways so why not provide the consumer with a better performing product while making more money...it is a no brainer. However, not knowing anything about window tint I didn't know better. IMO, we (window tinting companies) are part of the problem of consumers thinking all tint is the same since a huge amount do not try to educate the consumer on the differences. Had a guy call the other day and I gave him a quick rundown of films/prices/discounts and his response was "Oh, I thought you guys had better pricing". I told him he called the Lamborghini dealership looking for a Kia. He laughed and I let him know that when his tint turns purple, fades, or bubbles to make sure he chooses correctly next time.

Its tough to spend the time needed with all customers when you get calls from people wanting to know "how much it is to put some tints on my foo doo car". The flat price offered over the phone is a way to get them in and then try upselling.

Meant on the phone and in person...once at the shops there were still no options given.

Archived