There must be a cure...

Ok guys I know this topic has been beaten to death but I seriously dread doing the new chargers and challengers. Yes, peanuts. Every time. I have tried everything from steel wool, rapid tack, hard card over scrub pad and gator blade the lines. also I know it's not my shrink especially on the 300s and challengers which require minimal shrinking. How do we get rid of the damn peanuts all together guys?? Usually I tell the custy to come back in a couple days to push them out but I don't even like doing that very much. What's the secret??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, it is the result of heat shrink, the nature of polyester, and temperature change. High defrost lines only show them more so than low or no lines.

Best solution is to cut a tiny slit (or knife-tip prick, so air can escape) right next to the line above and below, heat the area (by gun or sun) and carefully fingernail press out toward your slit.

http://44tools.com/chemicals/atr-adhesive-remover-gallon/

Buy a gallon of this. Take your time on the shrinkand by that I mean jump around more often. Only shrink about half way down or up instead of all the way to the seal. Once done shrinking go ahead and spray the atr on the glass. Cut out your window place on peel board or prep whatever way you normally do. Hop inside and wipe off atr with paper towel. Clean back glass with steel wool wipe again with paper towel then blue scrub pad as normal. I did this process on a Chrysler 300 the other day. I had one pop up at the top corner and did as smartie said.

Soon as the film is applied and squeeged down,,turn the rear defroster on

It works decent and after it drys for a bit,,summer sunlight really helps also,,then like smartie said poke a pinhole on a defroster line and maybe some heatgun/squeegee it and its gone

Doo I've heard that trick a couple times now so I know some have had to have had success with it. My experience though the other day installing a back glass on Chevy cobalt. It had some contamination in it so I told the other guy to pull the car out, park it in the sun, running with the heat on full blast. He turned the rear defrost on which I never do. We go out maybe 5 minutes later and it had popped crap up all over the back glass. Wound up having to redo the window.

Here is a Bubbleboy poker pen/lol,I really don't like slitting the film anymore,,knife tip also works

But I 2 piece seamed many rear glass in the past and made relief cuts along the defroster lines that I really hated doing

Graphic supply places will have that poker pen

post-40089-0-32473100-1469882200_thumb.j

I only turn the defroster on when I see peanuts pop,,most cars i don't have to

My powder shrinking is kinda crude/fast and dryed soap or dryer sheet shrinking may be better(smoother flatter shrink) to not have them so bad

And the old wet shrinking was not so good either(peanuts galore) because to much was shrunk in one area and the matrix top dot area were horrible also

That's another thing I was going to add. If you're using powder then wet checking it's a recipe d for disaster. I used to get occasional peanuts on various cars doing that method. Once I switched to the soap it knocked out a bunch of issues. Also another thing to try is after you've shrunk it (i use a glove first) and hard card down, lift the bottom up and let it lay back down. Essentially doing a snap shrink. It's best to take extra precautions on these than to have to fight them afterwards. Especially towards the bottom.

That's another thing I was going to add. If you're using powder then wet checking it's a recipe d for disaster. I used to get occasional peanuts on various cars doing that method. Once I switched to the soap it knocked out a bunch of issues. Also another thing to try is after you've shrunk it (i use a glove first) and hard card down, lift the bottom up and let it lay back down. Essentially doing a snap shrink. It's best to take extra precautions on these than to have to fight them afterwards. Especially towards the bottom.

With the clouds it's not the best picture in the world but one peanut upper passenger side that was easily accessible. Made slit on the defrost and pushed it right down.

post-29693-0-87163900-1469883940_thumb.j

Archived