Routine efficiency

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cut my patterns on plotter.  Then clean all outside windows. Then clean inside bg and bounce the outside. Then shrink all side windows. Then clean and install each window starting with passenger front then passenger back, driver back, driver front.  Last I shrink and install bg.  Takes around 4hrs.  

I'd always suggest back window first. And however you work the rest, really think about steps and how often you walk around the car, move, or have to grab something. Minimize it. Half a minute or more to circle the car or go grab something and back multiplied numerous times adds substantial time to your install and also will tire you out if you're doing volume. Less movement, faster installs without working harder. 

If you have peel boards, always have one on each side or one that moves. Carry tools and pass them through the car to where you'll need them next/use a good pouch. And get a corny tank you can pressurize, it saves time too over hand spray bottles or the pump ones. But still have a slip spray bottle hanging at each peel board.

If I plotter cut a dealer car and it's pretty clean on the outside (so I can see any issues), I don't even wipe that down. No point if you're not shrinking patterns, can see it, and it has to go. Just always remove unnecessary steps. Even if it annoys your OCD. 

Oh, and if there is an issue with a window, decide in a matter of seconds if it can be fixed/concealed to work with customer expectations, or just rip it and forget it and redo it instantly. Don't mull around. It's a piece of tint.

I start by pulling the pattern and loading my film. Cut the front doors. While they are cutting I start removing panels or pulling gaskets. Once they finish. I put them on the peel board. Start the rear doors to cutting. Weed the fronts. And go back to pulling panels if need be. Place the rears on the board and weed them. Start on the rear pass door. Then the pass front. Move to the driver's side and do rear then front. Clean the outside of the Backglass while it is cutting. Shrink it, hang it and then clean all windows and inspect them. Most cars take me about 1.5 to 2 hours. Just depends on the vehicle. 

I chinese fire drill the car running around prepping the car while film cuts in plotter. 

Start with rollies passenger front and go side clockwise around

ignition off

then quarters drivers side counter clockwise. Smoke break

Then it's the back window, sun strip.

busy day regular cars take 1 - 1 1/2 hour. Slow day I take my time and pull up the chair 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

23 hours ago, liltintgoddess said:

Heya, just got back into the industry and so much has changed!  Over a decade ago we hand cut everything and my new gig has a plotter. The guy I work with is great, but his only experience is with computer software cut patterns so he isn't/doesn't struggle with the transition. And lemme tell ya, right now......I DONT LIKE IT. AT ALL. Most of our patterns are way too big and seriously more difficult than necessary. My only other hangup is that the install technique here is also very different. In the past we cut the patterns, yanked the rubbers out of the doors, peel and stick. Currently, I'm peeling only half the backing, setting the top, roll up and finish out.....which I have minimal experience with considering we only did things in that fashion on high end, very difficult vehicles. Bonus is I love where I work, who I work with and what I'm doing, I've got great tools and am becoming more comfortable with the material again. 

So, if ya happen to be bored or feeling particularly kind, please drop me any hints on how to handle the hand cut to computer transition and install tips. It'd be greatly appreciated, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

We went from hand cutting to computer cut and yes it is pretty difference and can be more difficult at times. yet we still do hand cut, (you have to crawl before you can walk) so im never not going to know how to hand cut... if you want to private message me i can give you a few tips and tricks if you have anything specific in mind.

" PM me for tips and tricks" ???????????????

Uh as much as we joke about it. This is not Tintderdude.

How about. :  Hey if there is something you need help with post up with pics. Tons of experience here. Someone probably has felt your pain.

Archived