Peel board project

i do drawings in my other life, would like advice from the group on what i've drawn so far for a peel board (see attached image), it's made for a 4'x6' sheet of glass and has wheels.

i wanted to make it for under $100 and use all the same size material in sizes that Home Depot can cut for you (nesting shown on drawing), so you can just screw it all together. the dimensions will allow it to fit thru a doorway. glass not included. Wood frame alone can be built for around $50.

i'd like your input to help me finalize. 

PeelBoard_082217.JPG

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would honestly go with some angled supports on the bottom going from the outer most part of the base to the upright portion. There will be good amount of leverage generated when pushing that thing around and it may loosen otherwise. It looks great

15 hours ago, Film_Pro said:

I would honestly go with some angled supports on the bottom going from the outer most part of the base to the upright portion. There will be good amount of leverage generated when pushing that thing around and it may loosen otherwise. It looks great

I tried to use extra wood at that base connection to stop the rotation/weakness at the point where the leverage will weaken the vertical from the base, but yeah it still bugs me. I'll add those diagonal braces. 

8 hours ago, Jerrybigbird said:

Wonder if the bottom is wide enough?

i agree, while i tried to make it able to fit thru a door i don't know how necessary it is to fit thru a door. i would like to make the base bigger.

does anyone have a base dimension that worked well for them? it has to be a magic mix of long enough but not too much of a tripping hazard.  

12 hours ago, Midtown Houston said:

Make it out of aluminum....it will last for ever... i got 2 that we made out of wood and it only lasted a year.  You got a nice design. 

I want it to be something anyone can make very simply, and last. What failed on yours so i know to pay special attention on this one?  

Archived