Advice on Huper Optik/Autobahn

Hey everyone! I've been using this resource for a long time as an installer and recently I am strongly considering starting my own business. I want to position myself as a premium dealer and carry very high quality film. I think that Huper Optik speaks for itself performance and warranty-wise but I have been looking into setting up an Autobahn dealership. It comes with marketing help, territory, shop design assistance, etc. 

So my question is: Does anyone have experience or opinions on the " branded" type shop vs setting it up on my own? Also, I had considered starting out mobile and Autobahn doesn't work with mobile dealers. Any thoughts on Huper Optik in general?

If this thread belongs in another forum, please feel free to move it.

Thanks for any advice!

I honestly would be shocked if they allowed a mobile installer to be a dealer, but you never know.  Huper quality is great, but I would do the Autobahn program.  The reason is it adds two films to the lineup...Black and Performa.  Black didn't exist when we were a dealer, but going to assume it is a Color Stable film with a black appearance versus Huper Xtreme having a charcoal appearance.  Performa is a higher performing film that is on the level with several Ceramic films.  Without Autobahn, there is a price gap from Xtreme to Ceramic which makes it harder to upsell IMO.  To really benefit from the film you have to be able install and move their Ceramic line.  Now if you are a newer tinter or never worked with a hard installation film, Huper most likely is not a good choice since you probably will not be able to install their Ceramic line.

Thanks for the input! Yes, Autobahn has to have a storefront, which is really the biggest issue for me. Being mobile allows me flexibility to make sales calls and market face to face more effectively. I have seen the Black and it is a great looking film. I have a sample roll on the way. The shrinking aspect for ceramic doesn't worry me much, I can pocket shrink, etc. Did you have success with Huper Optik or was it tough to sell?

1 hour ago, esoterik_appeal said:

Thanks for the input! Yes, Autobahn has to have a storefront, which is really the biggest issue for me. Being mobile allows me flexibility to make sales calls and market face to face more effectively. I have seen the Black and it is a great looking film. I have a sample roll on the way. The shrinking aspect for ceramic doesn't worry me much, I can pocket shrink, etc. Did you have success with Huper Optik or was it tough to sell?

It was a tough sell for us since it is not a household name, but honestly we were not doing a good job at selling it at that point either.  It was a easy sell with consumers that did their research.

Edited by DynamicAppearance

This Edge and huper/autobahn has me so confused.

I think the distribution is the same but the film is not made by the same company, not owned by the same company and not related in any way.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

When i'm on eastman page i see both huper and llumar but no Edge

http://www.eastman.com/Products/Pages/Product_Selector.aspx#Ebrands

I have tried a sample of the edge film. Its nice and dense, has a good color and heats out quite nice, small flaws and creases can be heated on very well too

Edited by blackoutauto

18 minutes ago, blackoutauto said:

This Edge and huper/autobahn has me so confused.

I think the distribution is the same but the film is not made by the same company, not owned by the same company and not related in any way.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

When i'm on eastman page i see both huper and llumar but no Edge

http://www.eastman.com/Products/Pages/Product_Selector.aspx#Ebrands

I have tried a sample of the edge film. Its nice and dense, has a good color and heats out quite nice, small flaws and creases can be heated on very well too

Huper does not own Autobahn including Performa Window Film, it is a business arrangement.  The people running the Autobahn program are also the ones behind Edge, but they are also separate companies.

It is very simple... Huper Optik USA and Edge Technologies are sister companies. They utilize the same distribution network which is the largest in the country with over 15 locations throughout the USA and Canada. Autobahn is a program and label that allows Huper to be sold in conjunction with the films that Eastman would not allow to be sold under the Huper Optik label due to competing conflict with Llumar and SunTek products. Edge is a Film brand that serves the same purpose. Eastman does not own either of the these two brands which does not make them subject to Eastman control. The advantage being that they can spec their own films and have them made by the best manufacture rather than being tied to one factory. That allows for a more versatile lineup with more local points of distribution in North America than any other film brands.

If you did see their booths with the new materials and Films at the IWFC show, you may want to check out what is new because a lot has changed in the past year.