Bullet Holes in single pane glass

Guest Rama

Recently bid a job on some old single pane glass, very large windows. There were a few bullet holes in some of them. Used to tell people there was a danger the glass could crack due to the stress of the hole, but have never in 10 years had one break, so was slacking and didn't bother to mention it. Well, tinted it on a Thursday, by Monday, the glass had cracked starting around the bullet hole. They are fine with it, are replacing the glass and I'll be retinting it next week. Problem is, I should have mentioned their was a possibility it could break, and if it did, I was not going to take responsibility, and they may want to replace it before I tinted it, in the off chance it might bust. Since I didn't do that, I feel a little responsible for this. They are having no problem, but I am thinking maybe I should redo it at no cost. The window is 104" by 86", was using Slate 10, so film cost won't break me, but at same time it will hurt a tad. Is this a matter of integrity, or am I being ridiculous?

Guest DontWorryItWillDry

Tboy,

I'd do it at material cost at the most. As long as they are cool with it, that's what I would do. Slate 10? damn...that's a dark film not to mention stress happening around a weak edge. Were the other jobs that you did that had bullet holes use a similar film?

Guest Johnny5104

I would do it free of charge....and I bet you will get them to call back next time along with good ref for other customers...and we all know word of mouth is the best advertising there is...and it's relatively cheap!

Have fun

I have done a few windows like this, (bb gun holes) usually a gas station for some reason :cool fully expecting them to crack, and telling the customer beforehand, they must have never broke out because they never called me back to retint a new glass. when you think they will break they dont, when you dont think they will they do :shoot2 I love flatglass

I've used Bronze 20%, Auto 5% and Silver 15% before on glass with bullet holes, all to know bad effect. When they called to ask me to replace the tint, they asked me to do more work at the same time, so its not as though they are upset. There are several other windows in the section with bullet holes, this is the only one breaking so far. If I had told them initially they would have told me they'd take the chance, and had me do it anyway, but I didn't give them the opportunity, that's why I feel bad about it. The company owns half the town, $150 won't have any effect on them either way. Maybe I'll charge just for the material, sounds like a good idea, if they were upset, I'd do it for nothing gladly, but they aren't. While I am there, I'll be doing another $300 of work on additional windows.

Guest Johnny5104

so I'm new and wondering out bullet holes make the glass weak for tinting and also what else would make them work or what to look for before tinting a window (com or res)

Well, thats a loaded question! There are lots of things that can make glass break! If you put a film on with a high absorption rate, such as a SB 20 on a double pane unit, throw in a low E coating, bang time! The glass can be perfect, and would still break with the wrong type of film. Also uneven shading can break glass. Years ago, a customer had a rose tree in front of a large front window. Tinted with a neutral 50%, glass broke a few days later, all the way around the outline of the rose tree. Had been raining and cold, sun came out, heated up glass quickly, but couldn't heat up the area shaded by the little bush. Also watch for overhangs and eaves that could cause uneven shading, exposures have something to do with it also, eastern is more dangerous with uneven shading. Sun comes up in morning, glass is cold from night, heats it unevenly due to shaded area and pop!

As far as glass being weak and breaking when film is installed, The biggest culprit in broken glass is a chip on the edge of the glass. However, you won't see it, as it will be covered with the framework. So, you have to tell everyone there is a chance their window could break, usually happens within the first week if there is a edge chip. I have several a year that bust, even with following all the guidelines for what film to put on so as to not have too high of an absorption rating. As a rule of thumb anything except a silver film shouldn't be any darker than 35%, as it likely will break double pane glass. Your rep should tell you what is safe for double pane and what is not. Watch out for tinted glass, you have to be careful with double pane tinted more so than regular double pane. If you have a large window, up high, greater chance it could have been chipped in installation or prior.

And breakage isn't the only thing to worry about. Seal failure is also speeded up by using the wrong type of films. Best bet is to use a film that carries a warranty that will cover you if it breaks or seal fails.

Guest tintchick

I don't put any film on any window with defects, cracks and holes,,if the customer just really wants it done I tell them I won't warranty it and they are responsible if the window cracks,,,I'm careful with my slate 10, although I really haven't had any problems with it,,been hanging it every week now and its summer, as long as I have my window warranty from the manufacter then I'll keep hanging away :shoot2

Guest Johnny5104

ok...so what exactly is the absorb thing with the film....also what makes the glass break in comparison to heat without the tint?

thanks for all the advice great great great

Guest tintslut

any film on a window will absorb some heat,...

put your hand on a window with no tint,,, FEELS COOL..

put your hand on a window with a tint film...

FEELS warm,,, doesnt it??? THe hotter the window feels , the more solar energy is being absorbed by the film. Highly reflective films,

R 15, R 20 , reflect more solar energy than they absorb...

SOME films, although non reflective looking, have significant solar energy

absorption,, but dissipate this energy at a very high rate,,,, making it safe for insulated glass units.

Archived