Which is thicker, heavier tint

Recently I brought some tint on line it was thick, 2mil 2 layer. When I used it was very thin & light film and had heaps of issues with it, I need more tint for annexe windows and am looking at a 2ply 1.5ml tint.

My question is the 2 ply 1.5ml tint a bit thicker tint to use.

I am only beginner at doing tinting

Edited by tony27
Mistake

(Tint) polyester film in these thicknesses are typically found in the window film market, depending on who made the product for sale or assembly into single or multi-ply products:
.5 = thin

15 = thick

21 = monster thick

If you buy a 2-mil, it is likely constructed of 1+1 = 2-mil 2-ply (or as you stated, layers)

If you buy a 1.5-mil, it is likely constructed of .5+1 = 1.5-mil 2-ply

1.5 mil is thinner than a 2 mil.

Thickness of film does not impact longevity, however, the type of chemical protection in the polyester (weatherable vs. non-weatherable), the laminating adhesive and the mounting adhesive does.

Edited by Tintguy1980
Forgot the monster

What I said when I used the 2mil 2 layer it seemed very thin and was a pain to use putting on windows, a friend said the polyfilm 2 ply 1.5ml was heavier (or seemed) and was easier to use.

Can some one please just tell me if the polyfilm 2ply 1.5ml tint is or isn't better to use.

38 minutes ago, tony27 said:

Can some one please just tell me if the polyfilm 2ply 1.5ml tint is or isn't better to use.

Here, I'll simplify ... depends on your skill level.

And, I answered by saying 1.5 mil is thinner. I'm now adding 1.5 mil is not as heavy as a 2-mil.

The thinner the film the more difficult it is to handle and squeegee down without heavy-handing it.

So, did you actually buy a 1 mil product labeled as a 2 mil? Meaning you got snookered?

Maybe somebody else can speak more clearly.

Edited by Tintguy1980

I recently bought tint online and it was 2mil 2 layer and seemed so light, thin bugger to cut.

I found box tint I used ages ago which I thought was heavier better quality and it says it is 2 ply 1.5 ml, and am just trying to find out what one is better for beginner to put on annexe windows...