Tack Solution When Vinyl won't lay flat

New tinted windshield....registration sticker with Vinyl was re-applied back on. One corner was lifting so I splurged.

Went to the DMV...paid for a new sticker.

Applied new vinyl to new sticker.

Cleaned area, Applied New Clear Vinyl Sticker to the Glass. Edges still don't want to stay down

Interesting enough, the previous inspection sticker that was removed and reapplied is nice and flat new tint.

Is there some sort of mix-tack I can make to spritz the vinyl so that the edges will hopefully lay flat on the Windshield

Since the new sticker wasn't laying flat again

Blew out dash with compressor so minimal debris ...

Removed (new vinyl sticker)

Re cleaned Application Area

Cleaned vinyl sticker with alcohol

Reapplied back to WS. 

Just the long edges don't won't to stay down and slowly curl out

It is  static cling I am using.  Vinyl was wrong wording but I suppose - I did say clear vinyl ?  Instant static cling -clear vinyl-

Scratching my head on this one. I get that dust or not clean surface can prohibit the static cling to not want to stick well...

It's just the edges on the long side that won't lay flat. The top and bottom horizontal is adhering well.

Just for the helluva it, I removed it for the 3rd time and alcohol cleaned the application area + cling again....

Same thing. Seems to stick but the once you press it down and leave it alone, the 2 edges just lift off a bit.

A short google on Amazon....the US version of aliexpress these days.

I see Sticker Shields. It is quoted as dscribed *Has a specially designed, releasable adhesive that easily and cleanly peels off*

I dunno if this is marketing vs regular static cling - clear vinyl

Getting Antsy as this rolling curling edges look like sch###.

Dare I just go pick up Elmers Glue Stick with it's low tack, glue the edges and just -pray- that when it comes time 12 month later for new sticker, the glue will be easy to remove with glass cleaner and some slight scrubbing and not *damage* the hardcoat on the tint /

If it's a cling, why not just take it off and warm it up with a hair dryer until it relaxes? Roll it up tight backwards? Put it in the middle of a heavy book for a few days? PPF film over it on the outside of the windshield? 

Cling is -new and fresh applied to a new reg sticker. Everything appears flat when applied and cut -square- on a rotary type paper cutter.  The center/top horizontals  are not curling. Just the 2 sides.

I guess I'll remove it and lay something heavy and reapply after a few days but I'm only struggling with the 2 vert sides of the sticker

A thought came to me.  While noting is ever -finite-, is there a shelf life to these sort of things ?

And if there was a shelf life, I presume it would be somewhat obvious

The static cling is 8 1/2 sheets in a box stored in my file cabinet....

It seems fiat. I applied new reg sticker, cut on roto trimmer, cleaned car glass and then -peeled off the white cap sheet of the static cling- (I may be using cap sheet terminology wrong, not in the trades) and stuck directly to the WS

Off to do a baseline test this weekend. Cut new cling and just stick it on the WS and see if it continues to lay flat

Off to DMV I go tomorrow to get a fresh sticker

Our registration sticker - it's basically paper in the main area with all the info....and then a 1/4 Border paper that has glue on it. I dunno....maybe the DMV has created this *2 ply piece* that isn't really flat

When I remove my cling wrap stickered registration, I can see the middle is not flat but has a bubble pocket.....it was definitely applied flat onto the cling wrap though.

Been scratching me head, it looks like crap. Time for a new sticker and I plan to cut/overhand the registration border with 1/4 of cling ontop as overhand to see if this will do the trick on the entire thing laying flat. I'm semi stumped as this only started due to the new tint install in the windshield (it was laying flat with the 70%) on it. Had the 70% changed to 50% and I opened Pandora's box on whatever reason it won't lay flat

Posted (edited)

Hair Gel . Is that a trick of the trades ?

Is there any issue 2 year later when I dissolve it with water to remove/clean it.....aka, the scratch coat

I bit the bullet. 

I hate the look as it looks like cheap scotch tape that you see often with tinted windshields  but more perfect as it's perfectly cut square. I hate how it looks from both the outside and inside. Not sure if it will drive me just as crazy as the edges curled and not laying flat...but probably just as most. Fashion vs function right 🤣

I added extra 3/4 extra border of the cling to the overall registration sticker and applied it

Tacky  and most laying flat on the glass as expected on all edges.

It has to be just some weird tension if I cut square of the edge of the sticker to film and apply as such.

Edited by mobiledynamics